Anthony Gordon completed his £40m move from Everton to Tyneside and declared: “I was always convinced Newcastle were for me.”
The 21-year-old has signed what Newcastle described as a “long-term” deal after months of speculation surrounding the Everton forward who was linked with a move to Chelsea in the summer.
Gordon, who has been at Everton since he was 11, missed three days of training last week as talks continued but has finally made the move to the north-east.
“Since I heard of the interest, I was always convinced Newcastle were for me,” Gordon told NUFC TV. “I think the fanbase and the city really suits me as a person, the way the team are playing under the gaffer at the minute really suits me, and the club just look like they’re heading in the right direction.
“I feel like it’s a really big step. People haven’t seen what I’m capable of yet. I think under the gaffer, and the way the club’s going, I can really excel here.”
The Newcastle manager, Eddie Howe, said: “I’m delighted to sign Anthony – he’s a top, top talent. I’m really excited to work with him, to develop him, and I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Newcastle shirt.”
Gordon made his senior debut as a 16-year-old in a Europa League tie in December 2017. He went on to make 78 first-team appearances, scoring seven goals.
The money will at least give the incoming Everton manager, Sean Dyche, some funds to reinforce his squad before Tuesday’s transfer deadline.