Everton players see specialists on Zoom and Skype to recover from injuries

Everton have arranged for Morgan Schneiderlin to see his knee surgeon on Zoom next week as part of their strategy for treating injured players during the coronavirus lockdown.

While players across the world follow individual and group training routines at home to keep fit during the crisis, the challenges facing those recovering from injury are more complex. Everton have three first-team players who are not receiving the hands-on treatment they would expect during rehabilitation from long-term injuries – Schneiderlin, Cenk Tosun and Jean-Philippe Gbamin. But, thanks to video communication services such as Skype and Zoom, the club have been able to manage their recoveries and, in Schneiderlin’s case, arrange a check-up with the specialist who operated on his torn meniscus last month.

Everton’s director of medical services, Danny Donachie, said: “The two most challenging situations are with Morgan and Cenk. They are not able to do any weight-bearing exercise. Most of what we’d have done with them would be hands-on, and that’s not possible. We are doing regular Skype sessions with them but what we can do practically is very limited. Morgan is due to see the surgeon on Monday next week and we will do that via Zoom. From then he can probably do more exercise, so I will be doing one-to-one videos with him every day.”

Tosun underwent surgery this month after damaging an anterior cruciate ligament during his loan spell with Crystal Palace, while Gbamin had an operation in February on the quadriceps injury that has ruined the midfielder’s debut season with Everton.

Donachie said: “JP is easier to treat. Adam [Newall, a physiotherapist] sets him a weekly programme and checks in with him on video most days. We are checking in with Morgan and Cenk every day. Because they can’t do a lot, the disappointment about not gaining is not that large, they wouldn’t be seeing much improvement at this stage anyway. And they see the bigger picture over what is happening in the world. They appreciate what is going on and, because of that, you appreciate the smaller things don’t you?”

Despite uncertainty over when or if the Premier League season will resume, Everton have divided their squad into training groups in a bid to maintain physical and mental health as well as inject competition.

“We are hoping to generate competition by doing some sessions together in our training groups,” said Donachie. “It isn’t always possible because of logistics. I have a group of four, for example, and two of them don’t have bike, so we can’t do the bike session together. But we have a weekly log of their sessions and that has introduced an element of competition because some of them want to do more sessions than anyone else – and see that recorded.”

Contributor

Text Reader Listen to this page

Andy Hunter

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Newcastle Covid cases and injuries cause Everton match postponement
Newcastle were only able to name eight substitutes, including two goalkeepers, against Manchester United, and picked up more injuries in the 1-1 draw

Will Unwin

28, Dec, 2021 @9:05 PM

Article image
‘Nerves, tension, injuries’: Sean Dyche admits Everton feeling pressure
Sean Dyche has admitted Everton are feeling the nerves and tension of another relegation struggle before their critical visit to Leicester

Andy Hunter

30, Apr, 2023 @9:30 PM

Article image
Liverpool and Everton the only Premier League clubs now allowed fans
Liverpool and Everton will be the only Premier League clubs able to welcome fans from Boxing Day when more areas will be under tier 4 restrictions

Nick Ames and Suzanne Wrack

23, Dec, 2020 @4:56 PM

Article image
Premier League postpones Aston Villa v Everton after coronavirus outbreak
Aston Villa’s match at home to Everton on Sunday has been postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak at the Midlands club

Guardian sport

14, Jan, 2021 @10:35 AM

Article image
Aston Villa ask Premier League to postpone Sunday's match against Everton
Aston Villa’s first-team squad are self-isolating after a Covid outbreak at the club meaning Everton’s visit to Villa Park on Sunday is in doubt

Paul Doyle

13, Jan, 2021 @6:31 PM

Article image
Everton set to fine Moise Kean two weeks’ wages following lockdown party
Everton have labelled Moise Kean’s actions ‘unacceptable’ after he flouted coronavirus lockdown restrictions

Jamie Jackson

26, Apr, 2020 @5:51 PM

Article image
José Mourinho blasts 'lazy' Tottenham players after Everton defeat
José Mourinho accused some his players of laziness after his lacklustre Tottenham side’s defeat by Everton

David Hytner

13, Sep, 2020 @6:59 PM

Article image
Frank Lampard lambasts players after Everton crumble at Crystal Palace
Everton’s manager questioned if lack of confidence alone led to their 4-0 FA Cup defeat and wondered of his team: ‘Have you got the bollocks to play?’

Barney Ronay at Selhurst Park

20, Mar, 2022 @4:41 PM

Article image
Everton players are fighting for their futures, says Séamus Coleman
Séamus Coleman said Everton’s players are fighting for their futures under a “world-class” manager Carlo Ancelotti

Andy Hunter

22, Jun, 2020 @1:19 PM

Article image
Everton need to offload players before buying, says Marcel Brands
Everton’s new director of football, Marcel Brands, has said there will not be another lavish spending spree this summer and the first-team squad and wage bill must be reduced

Andy Hunter

05, Jun, 2018 @9:30 PM