Russia suspends Ukraine grain deal after attack on Sevastopol naval base

Move comes after assault by airborne and underwater drones in which flagship may be been damaged

Russia has said it will pull out of a UN-brokered grain export deal after a dramatic attack by Ukrainian airborne and underwater drones on its Black Sea naval base of Sevastopol in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Social media showed footage of explosions both near and in the Crimean harbour, and Russia’s defence ministry said there had been an attack by “nine unmanned aerial vehicles and seven autonomous sea drones” that began at 4.20am.

A spokesperson for the ministry initially said the Ivan Golubets minesweeper had suffered minor damage in the incident, but there was immediate speculation by Russian and Ukrainian sources that the flagship Admiral Makarov may also have been hit.

The ministry later said in a statement via the news agency Tass that it had suspended “participation in the implementation of agreements on the export of agricultural products from Ukrainian ports”.

The UN-brokered deal had allowed Ukraine to resume grain exports from its Black Sea ports without fear of merchant ships being targeted, while Russia was allowed to export food and fertiliser.

Ukraine’s infrastructure ministry said on Saturday that the grain initiative had an “exclusively humanitarian character” and warned of a risk to food security if the deal was not restarted.

It said that it had exported 9m tonnes since 1 August, when vessels began sailing, including 190,000 tonnes of wheat “to countries on the brink of hunger” in Africa and the Middle East.

Sevastopol’s Russian governor, Mikhail Razvozhaev, said the raid on the port was the biggest mounted by Ukraine on the naval base in the war so far, and that all civilian CCTV should be turned off so as not to reveal the position of the city’s air defences.

Mykhalio Podolyak, a senior adviser to Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, appeared to obliquely claim credit for the attack and to suggest that it had taken a heavy toll on the Russian fleet at harbour. He tweeted:

Do not panic. Just turn off cameras not only in Sevastopol, but everywhere else on the occupied territories. After "negative offensive" till the borders dated 1991, tell your z-population that you “won” the war. And the "Black Sea Fleet" just sailed away...

— Михайло Подоляк (@Podolyak_M) October 29, 2022

Some Russian military bloggers said the Admiral Makarov, Russia’s main Black Sea frigate, had been hit in the raid, but there was no independent confirmation of this or full claim of responsibility from Ukrainian officials.

Andriy Tsaplienko, a Ukrainian journalist, posted a video later in the afternoon from a Ukranian drone targeting a Russian frigate at sea and other footage from the raid. They showed, he said, that the Admiral Makarov had been damaged along with at least two other ships that carry Kalibr cruise missiles.

“There is a good chance that several ships are not just damaged but sunk,” he wrote, but the claim could not verified.

A successful attack on any of Russia’s fleet would be a major success for Ukraine, which has no navy of its own. Russia’s flagship, the Moskva, was sunk by Ukrainian missiles in April, making the Admiral Makarov its most important warship in the Black Sea.

Russian-occupied Crimea has been the target of several daring drone and special forces attacks in the past three months, but Ukraine has been cautious about taking public responsibility for attacks that it knows will particularly irritate the Kremlin.

Moscow’s military said ships targeted at their Crimean base were involved in the UN-brokered grain deal, which Russia has recently criticised because its own grain exports have suffered as a result of western sanctions.

Russia also said Britain had helped Ukraine carry out the attack, accusing a Royal Navy specialist unit based in Ochakiv, in the south of the country, of giving guidance. No evidence was offered to support the claim.

The defence ministry also accused the same unit of sabotaging two gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea in September, although Russia is suspected of being the perpetrator.

“Representatives of this unit of the British Navy took part in the planning, provision and implementation of a terrorist attack in the Baltic Sea on 26 September this year, blowing up the Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 gas pipelines,” it said.

The attack has not been formally attributed to Russia, but the fact that Russian vessels were seen in the vicinity of the pipelines where they were damaged, points to Moscow’s involvement.

Britain dismissed Moscow’s statement. “To detract from their disastrous handling of the illegal invasion of Ukraine, the Russian ministry of defence is resorting to peddling false claims on an epic scale,” the Ministry of Defence said.

“This invented story says more about arguments going on inside the Russian government than it does about the west.”

Contributor

Dan Sabbagh

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Erdoğan confident Russia-Ukraine grain deal will continue
Turkish president raises hopes over pact to allow exports via Black Sea, bringing relief to world’s poorest countries

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic Editor

16, Nov, 2022 @9:43 AM

Article image
Ukraine and Russia sign UN-backed deal to restart grain exports
Shipping of millions of tonnes from blockaded Black Sea ports could avert global food crisis

Daniel Boffey in Brussels, Ruth Michaelson in Istanbul, Isobel Koshiw in Kyiv and Andrew Roth

22, Jul, 2022 @4:41 PM

Article image
Angela Merkel says she lost influence over Putin as a lame duck leader
Germany’s former chancellor defends her actions amid barrage of accusations since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine

Kate Connolly in Berlin

25, Nov, 2022 @6:58 PM

Article image
Ukraine grain deal: ship inspections have resumed, says minister
Deputy PM says inspections have restarted, during visit to Turkey to discuss Black Sea Grain Initiative

Peter Beaumont and Jennifer Rankin

19, Apr, 2023 @7:49 PM

Article image
‘We’ll show just how weak they are’: Ukraine primed for crucial offensive
With concern among allies seemingly growing, there is a lot riding on an imminent counter-assault on the Russians in the south

Emma Graham-Harrison and Artem Mazhulin in Zaporizhzhia region

30, Apr, 2023 @5:00 AM

Article image
Defeat for Ukraine would be a global disaster. Nato must finally step in to stop Russia | Simon Tisdall
European allies are split over when to offer Nato membership to Kyiv. The bigger question is: are they doing enough now to help Ukraine?Russia-Ukraine war – latest news updates

Simon Tisdall

08, Jul, 2023 @3:37 PM

Article image
Inside hospital on Ukraine’s frontline: ‘Russia wants to destroy fabric of our lives’
Work goes on inside the bombarded Mykolaiv hospital near key offensive to retake Kherson

Ed Vulliamy in Mykolaiv

03, Sep, 2022 @2:00 PM

Article image
UN, Nato, EU and US call on Russia to resume Ukrainian grain deal
Wheat prices predicted to soar risking global food crisis after Moscow says it is ending arrangement to allow exports over drone attack

Guardian staff and agencies

30, Oct, 2022 @7:32 PM

Article image
The man who sparked the Maidan revolution … and is now tasked with rebuilding Ukraine
On the 10th anniversary of the uprising, journalist-turned-politician Mustafa Nayyem recalls ‘the last time our country was in one piece’, and tells of his vision for the future

Shaun Walker in Kyiv

18, Nov, 2023 @5:24 PM

Article image
On the run from Russia: the defector to Ukraine shot dead on the Costa Blanca
Maksim Kuzminov flew a Russian miltary helicopter to Ukraine. Armed with a new identity, he moved to a Spanish resort. Then he was killed in an underground car park

Rory Carroll in Villajoyosa and Luke Harding in Kyiv

24, Feb, 2024 @10:06 AM