Three killed in explosions in Jalalabad, eastern Afghanistan

Initial reports suggest a Taliban convoy may have been targeted in the ISKP’s stronghold region

At least three people have been killed and more than 18 people injured in three explosions in Jalalabad in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province.

It is reported that the intended target may have been a passing convoy of the Taliban in the provincial capital. It is the first attack in the province since the Taliban came into power in mid-August.

A Taliban official told the Guardian that they are still investigating the nature of the attack. “It is too early to say how they carried out the attack,” he said. “We can’t say for sure who might be behind the blasts.”

A health official in the city, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said: “We have received 20 injured. Two of them died soon after being shifted to the hospital. We have children and women injured as well.”

So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the Jalalabad attack. But the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP) is alleged to be based in the mountainous region of Nangarhar province along the country’s eastern frontier with Pakistan.

Another bomb reportedly exploded in the country’s capital, Kabul, injuring two people. It is not clear who was the target of the attack but locals say the magnetic bomb had targeted a car.

In August, ISKP claimed responsibility for the Kabul attack in which two suicide bombers detonated themselves at Hamid Karzai international airport. At least 95 Afghans and 13 US service members were killed and more than 100 injured in the blasts.

In 2018, ISKP ranked as the world’s fourth deadliest terror group, claiming more than 1,000 lives, mostly in Afghanistan, according to the Institute for Economics and Peace, which monitors global terrorism.

The attacks are the first deadly blasts since the US completed its withdrawal from Afghanistan. After taking power, the Taliban had promised to restore peace and stability in the region and not to shelter any militant organisations.

Earlier this year Taliban fighters claimed to have killed hundreds of ISKP fighters after the US agreed to not deploy their airpower against the Taliban. According to credible reports, however, many ISKP fighters were able to escape and may have been able to regroup or form sleeper cells.

With the Taliban now seemingly secure in power, a full civil war may be an unlikely prospect but the threat of ISKP attacks on civilians is high.

Contributor

Shah Meer Baloch in Kandahar

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Afghanistan: gunmen kill and wound staff at midwife training centre
Several escape while others are taken hostage by attackers in Jalalabad, Nangarhar province

Staff and agencies

28, Jul, 2018 @3:47 PM

Article image
US drone strike 'kills 14 Isis militants in Afghanistan'
Afghan officials say strike killed militants in Kunar province on Thursday but local MP claims victims were civilians

Nicola Slawson

14, Oct, 2017 @10:29 AM

Article image
Why deadly Kabul bombing is crisis for all of Afghanistan | Emma Graham-Harrison
Rise in attacks on Kabul after years of city’s relative security a huge threat to the government, economy and civil society

Emma Graham-Harrison

01, Jun, 2017 @3:00 AM

Article image
Afghanistan attacks underscore scale of challenge facing peace negotiators
Taliban admits killing nine militiamen died denies targeting 14 worshippers

Emma Graham-Harrison

20, May, 2020 @7:07 PM

Article image
Afghanistan drone strike targeted Islamic State ‘planner’ in car, US says
US says there were no known civilian casualties but community elder claims women and children among victims

Jason Burke

28, Aug, 2021 @7:03 PM

Article image
The US and Afghanistan: can’t win the war, can’t stop it, can’t leave
Latest attacks focus attention on continuing failure of Trump’s efforts to stabilise the country

Simon Tisdall

01, May, 2018 @6:36 AM

Article image
Sharp rise in children killed and maimed in Afghan war, UN report reveals
Civilian casualty toll in 2016 was highest in 15 years, with 923 children killed and 2,589 injured, mainly from ground engagements

Sune Engel Rasmussen in Kabul

06, Feb, 2017 @6:00 AM

Article image
Dozens killed in two separate attacks in Pakistan on eve of Eid
Suicide car bomber kills 12 in Quetta and twin blasts in Parachinar leave at least 25 dead

Sune Engel Rasmussen in Kabul

23, Jun, 2017 @5:55 PM

Article image
Afghanistan: dozens killed in attack on Kabul Sikh temple
Isis gunmen held hostages for hours while Afghan special forces tried to end siege

Emma Graham-Harrison

25, Mar, 2020 @6:47 PM

Article image
Mothers in labour, pregnant women and babies were Kabul gunmen's target - MSF
Attack still unclaimed, but US defies Afghan government, blames Isis and says negotiations with Taliban must continue

Emma Graham-Harrison

15, May, 2020 @2:55 PM