Paris attacks: accused says killings revenge for French airstrikes in Syria and Iraq

Salah Abdeslam says attacks ‘nothing personal’ and François Hollande ‘knew risks’ of targeting IS

The sole survivor of the jihadist cell alleged to have killed 130 people in Paris six years ago has told his trial the attacks were revenge for French airstrikes in Syria and Iraq, and that France had known “the risks” of attacking Islamic State.

“We fought France, we attacked France, we targeted the civilian population – but it was nothing personal against them,” Salah Abdeslam said of the coordinated gun and suicide bomb attacks across Paris on 13 November 2015, which began at the national football stadium, continued at bars and restaurants and ended with a massacre inside a rock gig at the Bataclan concert hall.

“I know my statement may be shocking, but it is not to dig the knife deeper in the wound but to be sincere towards those who are suffering immeasurable grief,” he told the court.

Abdeslam is the only survivor of the group of 10 people who allegedly attacked the French capital with machine guns and suicide bombs in the deadliest violence against the country since the second world war. The other attackers blew themselves up or were shot by police.

In court, Abdeslam spoke of the socialist ex-president François Hollande, who had authorised strikes against IS targets in Syria. “François Hollande knew the risks he was taking in attacking the Islamic State in Syria,” he said, adding that the president knew that “in taking that decision, French people would die”.

Many at the court hearing, including families of the dead and the roughly 350 people physically injured, cried or hugged one another as Abdeslam spoke on Wednesday, on his 32nd birthday. The trial, which will last for nine months, is the biggest criminal trial in modern French legal history.

Abdeslam, who identified himself in court last week as a “fighter for the Islamic State”, insisted that he and his co-accused were not “terrorists, jihadists, extremists” but “Muslims”. “It’s about authentic Islam,” he said.

“They say often that I’m being provocative, but it’s not true, I want to be sincere,” he said. “My goal is not to hurt anyone.”

For six years Abdeslam, a Brussels-born French citizen accused of being central to the vast international logistics operation that allowed the jihadist commandos to return to Europe from Syria, had maintained a stubborn and almost total silence towards investigators.

But in the first days of court proceedings in Paris last week, he twice interrupted proceedings with outbursts. He said of several of his co-accused: “They helped me but they knew nothing at all.” At another point he said that he and his co-accused were being treated “like dogs” in prison.

Abdeslam is accused of having escorted the three bombers who blew themselves up at the Stade de France national stadium. He is suspected of planning to carry out his own suicide attack in Paris’s 18th arrondissement, and backing out. Police found a suicide vest they believe he intended to use in a rubbish bin. His brother blew himself up and died at a Paris bar during the attacks. Abdeslam is alleged to have hidden south of Paris after the attacks and called contacts in Brussels to collect him by car.

Four months later, he was arrested at a Brussels flat after a shootout with police. Days after his arrest, suicide bombers alleged to be part of the same cell struck at Brussels airport and metro, killing 32 people and injuring 270.

In total, 20 suspects are on trial accused of providing various levels of planning and logistical support in the Paris attacks. Six will be tried in their absence – five are presumed dead in Iraq or Syria and one is in prison in Turkey.

Also on trial is Mohamed Abrini, 36, Abdeslam’s childhood friend, believed to have travelled to the Paris region with the November attackers and who was later captured on CCTV with the two Brussels airport bombers. He is accused of taking part in financing and providing weapons for the Paris attacks.

In court, Abrini acknowledged taking part in terrorist attacks but said he was “neither the commander nor the architect”.

Contributor

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris and agencies

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Paris attacks inquiry finds multiple failings by French intelligence agencies
Commission calls for creation of national counter-terrorism agency and says Bataclan attack could have been prevented

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris

05, Jul, 2016 @5:53 PM

Article image
Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam charged with murder
Alleged logistical mastermind of attacks in French capital flown in by helicopter from Belgium, where he was arrested last month

Kim Willsher in Paris

27, Apr, 2016 @5:46 PM

Article image
Belgian broadcaster releases interview with then-fugitive Paris attacks suspect
RTBF reporter unwittingly spoke to Salah Abdeslam, alleged kingpin of attacks that killed 130

Jon Henley Europe correspondent

07, Sep, 2021 @10:59 AM

Article image
Memorial plaques unveiled in Paris on first anniversary of attacks
François Hollande unveils plaques at national sports stadium, bars and restaurants and Bataclan concert hall

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris

13, Nov, 2016 @1:47 PM

Article image
Trial of Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam opens in Belgium
Charges relate to shootout in Brussels suburb shortly before arrest in March 2016

Kim Willsher

05, Feb, 2018 @12:02 PM

Article image
Paris attacks: suspects treated like dogs, claims Abdeslam in trial outburst
Main suspect’s courtroom tirade on opening day of long-awaited trial angers survivors of 2015 attacks

Kim Willsher in Paris

08, Sep, 2021 @5:07 PM

Article image
Emmanuel Macron attends low-key memorials two years after Paris attacks
French president lays wreaths and speaks to families and survivors, while only surviving suspect remains silent in custody

Kim Willsher

13, Nov, 2017 @2:43 PM

Article image
New Jeff Koons sculpture is tribute to victims of Paris attacks
Bouquet of Tulips, currently being built, is to be installed on the plaza outside the Museum of Modern Art next year

Kim Willsher in Paris

22, Nov, 2016 @2:22 PM

Article image
Paris attacks anniversary to be marked with Sting concert at Bataclan
British singer to perform at reopening of venue on eve of commemorations of terrorist attacks that killed 130 people

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris

11, Nov, 2016 @4:59 PM

Article image
Tourists defy Trump to return to Paris in record numbers after terror attacks
Visitor figures hit a 10-year high after ‘catastrophic’ 2016, fuelled by anti-Paris comments made by US president

Kim Willsher in Paris

27, Aug, 2017 @2:00 PM