Nuclear submarines’ uncertain delivery date means ageing Collins class could be in use until 2050

Vessels could be more than 50 years old by the time the Aukus deal delivers Australia’s nuclear fleet

Australia’s navy chief has left the door open to keeping some of the existing Collins-class submarines in the water until 2050, amid uncertainty about the exact schedule for acquiring new nuclear-propelled submarines.

The government is already planning to extend the life of the six Collins class submarines by 10 years, with the extensive refitting work set to cost between $3.5bn and $6bn.

But the navy chief, V-Adm Michael Noonan, indicated on Friday that a “potential” option was to refit them a second time to further extend their life.

Given the first Collins-class submarines were commissioned in the late 1990s, that option could see them used until they are about 50 years old.

Australia is planning to acquire at least eight nuclear-propelled submarines under the Aukus partnership announced last month, but the first of these are not likely to be in the water until the late 2030s.

The South Australian senator Rex Patrick accused the government of being “extremely reckless” with national security amid the latest revelations.

He suggested Australia faced a worse outlook than 2009 when a decision was made to increase submarine numbers from six to 12 because of rising regional concerns.

“We now have an even worse geostrategic situation and yet the plan on record will see at least one of our six Collins class submarines retiring before a first nuclear submarine has arrived.”

At a shipbuilding committee hearing on Friday – the first since the $90bn French deal was dumped – senators explored concerns about Australia facing a “capability gap” while it waited for the new submarines to be ready.

Noonan played down that concern. He said the Collins class submarines would each undertake a life-of-type extension (LOTE). Each extension would take two years to complete, and would “essentially give 10 years’ life to that submarine”.

The first submarine would begin to be upgraded between 2026 and 2028, giving it a capability to 2038.

“And then we will see the second one, with an extended life as well,” Noonan told the Senate’s economics references committee.

“And I don’t write off the opportunity for us to further upgrade these submarines beyond that period of LOTE.”

Labor senator Kimberley Kitching asked: “So we’re going to have Collins class in the waters until 2040, 2050?”

Noonan replied: “Potentially, yes, Senator.”

The inquiry heard that the first submarine under the now defunct French deal would have been expected to be operational about 2034 or 2035.

Labor – which has backed the Aukus plan – said the evidence raised many questions for the government, including whether the Collins class submarines would be able to withstand multiple upgrades of this type.

Labor’s defence spokesperson, Brendan O’Connor, asked: “If enhanced submarine capability is critical to our national security, why would we still have 50-year-old Collins Class vessels in 2050?”

Later in the hearing, however, Noonan expressed some caution about the use of the Collins class submarines into the 2040s and beyond.

“My assessment is we will be able to continue to operate the Collins class submarines very successfully through the 2020s, through the 2030s,” he said.

“But as we get into the 2040s and beyond, the areas of operation that we seek to operate in … will make any conventionally powered submarine at a higher risk of detection due to its requirement to surface and snort in order to charge its batteries.”

The Australian government has set up a taskforce, with 89 members and growing, whose job over the next year and a half is to work with the US and the UK on “identifying the optimal pathway to deliver at least eight nuclear-powered submarines for Australia”.

Noonan accepted that this “means that there is not yet a follow-on capability under contract”.

It remains unclear precisely how much the Australian government will have to pay to settle contracts with France’s Naval Group and another defence contractor, Lockheed Martin.

Greg Sammut, the general manager of submarines at the defence department, said there was “no break fee” but “there will be costs associated with termination”, which may not be known until early to mid next year.

Sammut defended the department’s handling of talks with Naval Group, after the scrapping of the French contract triggered an extraordinary diplomatic rift that saw France temporarily recall its ambassadors from Canberra and Washington in protest.

Sammut said his team had been made aware on the afternoon of 15 September that an announcement was to be made the following day in relation to the submarine program – but had not been aware of the content of the announcement.

He said his team had been aware that contingency planning was under way – but not the specific deliberations. “We were kept separate from that. We continued to work with Naval Group in good faith on the program of record that remained in place,” Sammut said.

In a letter dated 15 September – and obtained by Guardian Australia under freedom of information laws – Royal Australian Navy Commodore Craig Bourke cautioned Naval Group that its achievement of a key contractual milestone did “not provide any authorisation to continue work”.

Asked why that line was added to the letter, Sammut said: “We wanted to be very clear that that was subject to government approval … We were very clear that the decision to enter the next design phase rested with government.”

The also inquiry heard the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation was consulted in March about a plan to buy nuclear-powered submarines, about six months ahead of the surprise announcement.

Ansto’s chief executive officer, Shaun Jenkinson, said he was asked about the organisation’s ability to support the endeavour.

“Initial conversations started in March and we had a number of consultations between then and the announcement,” he told the inquiry.

At the same hearing, the chief executive of the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency, Carl-Magnus Larsson, said his agency was briefed on the plan at the end of June or beginning of July.

Contributors

Daniel Hurst and Tory Shepherd

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Australia considered buying nuclear submarines from France before ditching deal, Peter Dutton says
Defence minister says French version ‘not superior’ to US/UK one, whose reactor lasts for life of submarine

Tory Shepherd

17, Sep, 2021 @6:54 AM

Article image
Nuclear energy: Nationals MPs welcome AWU support for domestic industry
Union to tell parliamentary committee it’s ‘ludicrous’ to export uranium but not benefit from the energy source at home

Sarah Martin

19, Sep, 2019 @6:00 PM

Article image
Labor pressures Coalition to rule out nuclear 'fantasies' or name sites for reactors
Mark Butler says almost all proposed reactor sites since 1968 were near residential communities

Sarah Martin and Amy Remeikis

04, Sep, 2019 @6:00 PM

Article image
Nuclear agencies say it’s too early to know what infrastructure is needed to support submarine program
Rex Patrick says it’s ‘beyond comprehension’ Australia could build a nuclear-powered fleet without a domestic industry to support it

Tory Shepherd

15, Oct, 2021 @1:47 AM

Article image
What are nuclear-powered submarines, anyway? A guide to Australia’s looming military addition
How do they work? What are the pros and cons? We break down the technology in the defence deal with the US and UK

Royce Kurmelovs

16, Sep, 2021 @6:53 AM

Article image
Angus Taylor pursued by Labor over rising emissions and grassland meetings
In a combative question time the energy minister suggests the Coalition has an ‘open mind’ on nuclear power

Katharine Murphy and Lisa Cox

23, Jul, 2019 @10:31 AM

Article image
Australia could initially lease submarines from UK or US but nuclear weapons remain off limits
Senior ministers confirm leasing nuclear-powered vessels from Aukus allies could be stop-gap solution until Australia takes delivery of its own submarines

Amy Remeikis

19, Sep, 2021 @5:19 AM

Article image
Bob Hawke blames decline in quality of politicians on intrusiveness of media
Former prime minister says the ‘poor quality of representatives’ is a worldwide phenomenon partly caused by media focus on politicians’ private lives

Janine Israel

28, Dec, 2016 @7:41 AM

Article image
The reason Australia doesn't have nuclear power: the workers fought back | Jeff Sparrow
Workers have been fighting uranium mining for decades – the environment needs mass civil disobedience

Jeff Sparrow

24, Jun, 2019 @1:24 AM

Article image
Andrews condemns second day of anti-lockdown protests – as it happened
NSW cases back over 1,000 as kids allowed to meet in friend bubbles for school holidays. This blog is now closed

Mostafa Rachwani, Ben Doherty and Matilda Boseley (earlier)

21, Sep, 2021 @10:23 AM