Norwegian journalists reporting on World Cup workers arrested in Qatar

Pair investigating conditions for labourers detained as they tried to fly home

Two Norwegian journalists investigating conditions for migrant workers in Qatar ahead of the 2022 Fifa World Cup were arrested and detained for 36 hours as they tried to leave the country, Norwegian media have reported.

The VG newspaper reported that Halvor Ekeland, a sports journalist for the public broadcaster NRK, and Lokman Ghorbani, an NRK cameraman, were picked up by police late on Sunday as they were preparing to leave for Doha airport.

Hours earlier, during a live broadcast for the Sportsrevyen news show on conditions for labourers working on World Cup venues, Ekeland had told viewers there were “stark contrasts”, with some workers “doing awfully”.

Asked during the broadcast what had struck him most strongly, he said: “The encounters we had with workers, those who did not wish to speak with journalists on camera. When I asked them for an interview, you see the fear in their eyes.”

The journalists said they were arrested outside the hotel and taken to a police station, where they remained until they were released on Tuesday morning. They are now back in Oslo. A spokesperson for the Qatari government said they were detained “for trespassing on private property and filming without a permit”.

“We were questioned, but first and foremost we are happy to be back in Europe,” Ekeland told the newspaper. “We’ve had a hard time. We will have a number of meetings with NRK and find out a number of things, then comment more.”

The public broadcaster’s managing director, Thor Gjermund Eriksen, said NRK had not been informed of the reasons for the detention, which he considered an attack on freedom of the press and free speech. “It is unacceptable for the media to be prevented from practising free and independent journalism at one of the world’s largest sport events,” Eriksen said in a statement. “We will be discussing how this should be handled with Fifa.”

Ekeland and Ghorbani had been in Qatar since 14 November and were due to meet Abdullah Ibhais, the former communications director for the 2022 World Cup organisers, who has since publicly criticised the Qatari regime. However, Ibhais, who is appealing against a five-year prison sentence for corruption, was arrested hours before the planned interview.

A spokesperson for the Qatari government said: “An NRK crew were taken into custody in the early hours of 22 November for trespassing on private property and filming without a permit. The authorities arrested the crew in their hotel after responding to a complaint made by the owner of the private property on which the crew had illegally accessed. The crew were released without charge early on 23 November after completing the necessary legal procedures. The Norwegian embassy and NRK executives were updated on the situation as it progressed.”

The Norwegian football magazine Josimar last month published an extensive article on Ibhais’s trial, arguing that he had been convicted largely to protect the reputation of the Qatari regime after criticising the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar.

The magazine later received a letter from a law firm representing the organising committee alleging the article was “defamatory and in violation of several laws”, and demanding the removal of WhatsApp messages and voicemail from the piece.

Contributor

Jon Henley

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Fifa faces legal challenge over Qatar migrant workers
FNV union says football body should have demanded abolition of kafala migrant labour system ahead of 2022 World Cup

Owen Gibson

10, Oct, 2016 @5:01 AM

Article image
Could a Norway boycott of the Qatar World Cup change the future of football? | Håvard Melnæs
Football fans are asking leaders of the game difficult questions, and it all started with a club north of the Arctic Circle, says football editor Håvard Melnæs

Håvard Melnæs

30, Mar, 2021 @1:03 PM

Article image
Qatar migrant workers are still being exploited, says Amnesty report
Charity says promised government reforms to ‘kafala’ system have not taken place

David Conn

26, Sep, 2018 @7:26 AM

Article image
Qatar World Cup bosses offer no explanation for British worker's death
Zac Cox’s relatives have waited 10 months for official account of why he died in accident at Khalifa stadium

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor

11, Nov, 2017 @5:00 AM

Qatar World Cup 2022: inside construction workers' accommodation – video

Robert Booth visits the construction site of the al-Wakrah stadium, where workers now have improved facilities following reforms in Qatar

29, Jul, 2014 @12:05 PM

Article image
Thousands of Qatar World Cup workers ‘subjected to life-threatening heat’
The campaign group Human Rights Watch has said hundreds of workers are dying every year as Qatar builds for the 2022 World Cup with statutory work breaks in summer midday hours not sufficient

David Conn

27, Sep, 2017 @2:59 AM

Article image
Qatar 2022 World Cup will exploit migrant workers, says report
Human Rights Watch has chronicled the abuse of workers from India, Pakistan and Nepal in the Gulf state and warns of a 'crucible of misery' as they build the venues and infrastructure for the tournament

David Conn

29, Jan, 2013 @5:19 PM

Article image
Revealed: 6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since World Cup awarded
Guardian analysis indicates shocking figure over the past decade likely to be an underestimate

Pete Pattisson, Niamh McIntyre, Imran Mukhtar in Islamabad, Nikhil Eapen in Bangalore, Imran Mukhtar in Islamabad, Md Owasim Uddin Bhuyan in Dhaka, Udwab Bhattarai in Kathmandu and Aanya Piyari in Colombo

23, Feb, 2021 @6:00 AM

Qatar outraged by Washington Post 'myth' about World Cup deaths
Doha government contests blog claiming 1,200 migrant workers have died on World Cup construction sites - but article has been repeated across the world

Roy Greenslade

03, Jun, 2015 @9:02 AM

Article image
Migrant workers suffer 'appalling treatment' in Qatar World Cup stadiums, says Amnesty
Amnesty report accuses Fifa and Qatari authorities of ongoing indifference to systemic abuse of workers on stadiums that will host the 2022 World Cup

Owen Gibson, chief sports correspondent

30, Mar, 2016 @11:01 PM