France under pressure to admit responsibility for Mali airstrike

Paris has repeatedly dismissed UN report into attack that killed 19 wedding guests as not credible

France is facing growing calls to accept responsibility for an airstrike that killed 19 civilians at a wedding in a village in Mali in January, following the publication of a United Nations report into the attack.

The damning investigation by the UN released last month, its first into French military action, said the airstrike hit Bounti village on 3 January, killing 19 guests at the wedding and three militants.

Groups representing families of the victims, who were all men, survivors of the airstrike, and rights groups have called for military personnel implicated in the strike to be face charges, and condemned the attack – one of a string of incidents in recent years in which innocent civilians have been reported killed in anti-jihadist operations.

A jihadist insurgency has wrought devastation across Mali since 2012, spilling into West Africa’s Sahel region, prompting significant French military support in its former colonies.

Immediately after the attack in Bounti, 370 miles from the capital, Bamako, local groups began to raise fears that civilians, not jihadists, had been killed, said Hamadoune Dicko, the president of the largest Fulani group, Tabital Pulaaku. One of his friends died in the airstrike, he said.

“We knew the majority personally. This is our area and it’s easy to know who was there and whether they were civilians or jihadists,” Dicko said, adding that the UN report had “proved us right”.

“It is important that an independent investigation be carried out, perhaps by the justice system. Whether it is Malian, French or international,” Dicko said, “so that responsibility can be established, that the families of the victims can be compensated and that those responsible for this strike be brought to justice.”

A guest at the wedding, who spoke on condition of anonymity, survived the attack with minor injuries. The region in central Mali was under the control of jihadists, he said. ‘They don’t accept weddings and baptisms. If they had known about it they would have banned it,” he said. “There were no jihadists, we were just celebrating among ourselves.”

The UN report, based on over 400 interviews and witness accounts, accused France of numerous failings, including the obligation to do everything practically possible to verify the targets were indeed military objectives.

Since the report was published, France has repeatedly dismissed it as not credible, claiming 30 people died in the Mali airstrike and that the targets were all jihadists. The UN report may have relied on testimony from terrorist sympathisers, it said, and did not offer any tangible proof.

France’s defence minister, Florence Parly, said last week its operations followed “a rigorous targeting process” and that amid criticism, it “cannot allow the honour of our soldiers to be sullied”.

“There were no women or children among the victims, and these strikes were intended to neutralise terrorist elements,” she said. The attack had targeted a coalition of extremist groups affiliated with al-Qaida.

On Thursday, Parly addressed the mounting criticism following the UN report, by Malian and French rights groups, including Amnesty International and Oxfam France.

“France’s actions in the Sahel is the subject of a constant information war aimed at weakening our credibility and our legitimacy, even though we are present at the appeal from the Sahelian national authorities,” after a further briefing on the details of the airstrike by the chief of army staff.

The government has dismissed calls for an investigation into the killings, or for it to release drone footage that led to the village being identified as a target, adding to the dismay of groups in Mali.

In an attempt to get France to accept accountability, the families of the victims are considering legal action in French courts.

Fuelling resentment is the lack of criticism from of the military-led transition government, who came to power after a coup last year. Since a statement critical of the strike in its immediate aftermath, officials have largely supported France, on which it relies on to support its own forces. Mali’s authorities have said jihadists were the target of the attack.

Both countries had failed to launch a coordinated investigation, according to Clémence Bectarte, of the International Federation for Human Rights, saying “both French and Malian jurisdictions should have opened an investigation, it was logical”.

News of alleged atrocities by its military have heaped pressure on France, and its prolonged operation in the Sahel. On 26 March, six people were killed in north-eastern Mali in a french drone strike that the military said targeted jihadists. Yet local residents said those who died, including four children under 16, were young hunters.

France’s force of 5,100 troops in the Sahel have struggled to contain highly mobile and coordinated extremist groups in the desert region. Experts say the alleged atrocities have probably deepened anti-French resentment in the country.

Contributor

Emmanuel Akinwotu in Lagos and Paul Lorgerie in Bamako

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
UN official accuses France of impeding inquiry into journalists' Mali deaths
Agnès Callamard says justice is being denied over killings of Ghislaine Dupont and Claude Verlon in 2013

Kim Willsher

02, Apr, 2021 @1:57 PM

Article image
Deaths of 19 civilians in French airstrike in Mali disputed by Paris
Witnesses describe aerial attack on a wedding but French officials claim gathering was of armed extremists

Jason Burke Africa correspondent

30, Mar, 2021 @3:54 PM

Article image
France launches air strikes on Mali
President François Hollande responds to advance south by Islamist rebels by sending armed forces to aid Malian troops

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris, Afua Hirsch, west Africa correspondent and Nick Hopkins

11, Jan, 2013 @7:37 PM

Article image
Helicopter collision kills 13 French troops pursuing militants in Mali
Complex military operations in desert north of Mali have been described as game of cat and mouse

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris

26, Nov, 2019 @2:04 PM

Article image
France may begin Mali withdrawal within weeks
French could reduce troop numbers and start handing over duties to African force 'in a few weeks', says minister

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris and agencies

06, Feb, 2013 @11:58 AM

Article image
France pushes on with Mali air strikes
President François Hollande says targets have been hit as defence chiefs fast-track deployment of African troops

Agencies in Bamako

15, Jan, 2013 @9:39 AM

Article image
France expected to more than triple Mali troop numbers
French raids continue on Islamist insurgents, with start of African deployment expected to take at least a week

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris, Afua Hirsch in Bamako and agencies

15, Jan, 2013 @2:13 PM

Article image
David Cameron offers France further help in Mali campaign
PM sends national security adviser to Paris to discuss what else Britain can do, after providing two transport aircraft

Nicholas Watt, chief political correspondent

28, Jan, 2013 @1:32 PM

Article image
Mali conflict: France has opened gates of hell, say rebels
Islamist militant leader warns French government as fighter jets continue assault on rebel camps and convoys in central Mali

Afua Hirsch in Bamako and Kim Willsher in Paris

14, Jan, 2013 @9:34 PM

Article image
Wedding guests killed in Mali airstrike, local sources say
French forces were in area but say they attacked ‘fully-identified armed terrorist group’

Staff and agencies in Bamako

05, Jan, 2021 @8:16 PM