Suspected US drone strike targeting Isis killed civilians in Afghanistan, UN says

Officials did not mention the US specifically, but said the airstrike had been carried out by an international drone – which only the US military operates

A drone strike in eastern Afghanistan, intended to target Islamic State fighters, has killed at least 15 civilians and injured another 13, according to the United Nations.

The American strike took place early Wednesday morning in Achin, a district of Nangarhar under Isis control.

According to the UN, and Afghan officials speaking to local press, the strike hit a home where civilians were sleeping after having gathered to welcome home a tribal elder from hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.

While the UN did not mention the US specifically, it said the strike had been carried out by an international drone, which only the US operates.

In a statement on Wednesday, the US military acknowledged it had conducted an aerial attack but refused to discuss details, “because we are still reviewing all materials related to the strike”.

The UN, who happened to have a high-level delegation visiting Jalalabad, Nangarhar’s capital, on Wednesday, issued its statement as conflicting reports were still emerging.

Nangarhar officials said on Wednesday that the strike killed 18 Isis militants, including a key commander named Hamza.

But a parliamentarian from Nangarhar told local media that the victims of the attack were civilians who had travelled to Achin from surrounding districts. He said that if the pilgrim who hosted the gathering was an Isis militant, the government should not have allowed him to go on hajj.

“Why was he not arrested during his journey to Saudi Arabia?” the parliamentarian, Asmat Shinwari, told Pajhwok news agency.

Isis appeared publicly in Nangarhar in May 2015, and the province is the only place in Afghanistan where the group has been able to establish some form of foothold. They have recently been on the defensive, particularly after a US airstrike killed their leader in Afghanistan, Hafiz Saeed Khan, in July.

In the past week, though, they managed to recapture areas in the southern part of the province, including Achin, which they had previously lost to government forces.

While the Afghan ministry of defense announced it would launch an investigation into the airstrike, the UN called for an independent inquiry.

The incident happened almost a year to the day after another US airstrike destroyed a Doctor Without Borders hospital in Kunduz, killing 42. After that incident, the US and the Afghan government refused calls for an independent investigation.

Contributor

Sune Engel Rasmussen in Jalalabad

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
US drone strike 'kills 14 Isis militants in Afghanistan'
Afghan officials say strike killed militants in Kunar province on Thursday but local MP claims victims were civilians

Nicola Slawson

14, Oct, 2017 @10:29 AM

Article image
US admits Kabul strike killed 10 civilians and not Islamic State militants
Gen Kenneth McKenzie says ‘it was a mistake’ and that it was unlikely those who died posed a direct threat to US forces

David Smith in Washington

17, Sep, 2021 @9:09 PM

Article image
Deadly US drone strike in Afghanistan not disputed but victims' identities are
The provincial governor claims Isis members were killed at home of ‘facilitator’, but survivors and villagers say civilians were among the dead

Sune Engel Rasmussen in Jalalabad

01, Oct, 2016 @9:00 AM

Article image
Afghanistan drone strike targeted Islamic State ‘planner’ in car, US says
US says there were no known civilian casualties but community elder claims women and children among victims

Jason Burke

28, Aug, 2021 @7:03 PM

Article image
Isis-linked militant killed in Afghanistan drone strike
Mullah Abdul Rauf, a former Guantánamo detainee, declared allegiance to Isis in January

Sune Engel Rasmussen in Kabul

09, Feb, 2015 @1:18 PM

Article image
US releases video of Afghanistan drone strike that killed 10 civilians
Pentagon declassifies footage from Kabul strike it defended but later admitted was an ‘honest mistake’

Staff and agencies

20, Jan, 2022 @1:47 AM

Article image
US military says Mosul airstrike may have killed civilians at hospital
Van carrying Isis fighters was target of US-led coalition airstrike: ‘The van was struck in … a hospital compound parking lot’

Staff and agencies

29, Dec, 2016 @7:17 PM

Article image
Isis second in command killed in US raid, Pentagon says
Abd al-Rahman Mustafa al-Qaduli, a high-profile Islamic State target for the US, was killed as part of US effort to ‘systematically eliminate Isis’s cabinet’

David Smith in Washington, Martin Chulov in Beirut and Spencer Ackerman in New York

25, Mar, 2016 @3:29 PM

Article image
US says 33 Afghanistan civilians died in special forces raid last year
Military says US troops were acting in self-defense amid clash with Taliban as Kunduz province official says civilian death toll was higher

Staff and agencies in Kabul

12, Jan, 2017 @3:52 PM

Article image
Relations between US and UN strained over Afghanistan war reports
US military is increasingly trying to control public information about conflict, nearly leading to ban on UN staff from Kabul base

Sune Engel Rasmussen in Kabul

04, Dec, 2016 @4:42 PM