Afghan civilians reported killed in Helmand air strike

Claims of 12 children among dead after attack ordered when US marines reportedly came under fire while on patrol

International forces in Afghanistan were caught in a new row over civilian casualties on Sunday after reports that 14 civilians, including up to 12 children, had been killed in a coalition air strike in the southern province of Helmand.

Afghan TV showed images of casualties being taken into hospitals and bereaved relatives cradling the bodies of several young children wrapped in bloody sheets.

The exact number of casualties in the incident, which occurred late on Friday night in the Nawzad district, was unclear.

A spokesman for the provincial governor said at least four children and a woman were confirmed dead.

"There were some joint forces [international and Afghan troops] who came under attack and fought back and killed these people," said Daoud Ahmadi. Several more people were injured, he added.

Reports suggest an air strike was called in after US marines operating alongside Afghan soldiers were attacked by insurgents. Bombs destroyed two houses where families were living.

On Sunday night, the commander of the Nato-led force Isaf in south-west Afghanistan apologised for the deaths of the civilians, saying troops had unwittingly targeted a home because insurgents were using it as a base. The Afghan president, Hamid Karzai called it a "big mistake".

Nawzad has been a focus of coalition efforts in recent years but continues to see fierce fighting. Taliban fighters often hide in buildings used by civilians or deliberately draw fire on villagers, but this does not appear to be the case in this incident.

One resident, Noor Agha, told Reuters: "My house was bombarded in the middle of the night and my children were killed ... the Taliban were far away from my home; why was my house bombed?" The incident comes amid a surge of anti-western sentiment in Afghanistan and days after mass protests against a "night raid" by Nato special forces in the north of the country in which four people died, including two women.

Such night-time special forces operations target insurgent commanders and are a key element of the counterinsurgency strategy pursued by General David Petraeus, the overall commander of Nato troops in Afghanistan. The Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, opposes the raids.

Twelve people died during the violent protests in usually peaceful northern Takhar province and more than 80 were wounded. There were also reports over the weekend of civilians killed in fighting and air strikes in the eastern Nuristan province. Nato said investigations had revealed no evidence to back the claims.

Dozens of insurgents were also reported dead in battles provoked by a mass attack on an isolated government district centre.

International officials said huge efforts were being made to limit civilian casualties. "It is taken very, very seriously at the highest levels. The whole emphasis of the current counter-insurgency strategy here is on protecting the population," a spokesman said.The UN says 75% of the 2,777 civilians killed in Afghanistan last year died through insurgent action. The total was 15% higher than the previous year.

The Taliban declared a new offensive at the start of May. On Saturday, a suicide bomber dressed in police uniform killed General Mohammed Daoud, an Afghan police chief, and seriously injured a German major-general in an attack on a government compound.

Nato says the "surge" of 30,000 troops ordered by Barack Obama is working. NGOs say that though there has been improvement in some areas, security in others has become worse.

Under a plan agreed by Nato leaders in Lisbon last year, foreign troops will begin handing over security responsibilities to Afghan troops from late June, with the ultimate aim of withdrawing all combat troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

Contributor

Jason Burke in Kabul

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

From Newry to Helmand, the lessons are the same | Simon Jenkins
Simon Jenkins: Had Monday's car bomb exploded in London it would have been inflated into a terrorist atrocity, fuel for the Afghan war

Simon Jenkins

23, Feb, 2010 @8:00 PM

Article image
Nato troops killed by Afghan forces – timeline
Surge in number of coalition troops killed in so-called green-on-blue attacks in Afghanistan in past two years

Peter Walker

20, Jan, 2012 @1:53 PM

Letters: End the Afghan war
Letters: Two days ago, I received a 13-day prison sentence for my role in a 2009 protest outside Britain's military nerve centre in Northwood against the bombing of Afghanistan

01, Mar, 2012 @9:00 PM

Article image
Afghan ministers voice anger as civilians killed in Nato air strike
Nato and Afghanistan government launch inquiry after planes fire on convoy of vehicles, killing at least 27 people

Jon Boone in Kabul and Matthew Weaver

22, Feb, 2010 @1:14 PM

Article image
British troops plan larger role in Helmand to cover US withdrawal
UK armed forces to patrol larger area in southern Afghan province but a return to Sangin ruled out

Nick Hopkins

07, Nov, 2011 @5:59 PM

Article image
Helmand civilians caught between the Taliban and a hard place

Local Afghan population weighs up the price of security in the face of injuries and deaths caused by Nato forces

Jon Boone

28, Mar, 2011 @9:57 PM

Airstrikes kill more than 60 Taliban fighters in Helmand

No civilian casualties reported after Afghan army bomb convoy armed with mortar weapons

Sam Jones and agencies

12, Oct, 2008 @11:01 PM

Article image
Pakistan: senior Taliban militants killed by US drone strike
Pakistani officials report at least four people, including Taliban deputy Wali ur-Rehman, killed in North Waziristan region

Jon Boone in Lahore

29, May, 2013 @7:28 PM

FAQ: Does fighting in Helmand make Britain safer or more dangerous?
Is Gordon Brown correct in insisting a 'safer Afghanistan means a safer Britain'?

Richard Norton-Taylor

04, Sep, 2009 @11:26 PM

Article image
The Taliban spring offensive - civilians count the cost
No major offensive has accompanied the resumption of widescale fighting but it has not stopped civilian casualties rising markedly

John Wendle in Kabul

01, May, 2013 @1:58 PM