US admits Kabul strike killed 10 civilians and not Islamic State militants

Gen Kenneth McKenzie says ‘it was a mistake’ and that it was unlikely those who died posed a direct threat to US forces

A US drone strike in Afghanistan last month killed 10 civilians – including seven children – and not an Islamic State extremist as first claimed, the Pentagon has admitted.

In a briefing on Friday, the commander of US Central Command, Gen Kenneth McKenzie, said he now believes it was unlikely that those who died were Islamic State militants or posed a direct threat to US forces at Kabul’s airport.

“I am now convinced that as many as 10 civilians, including up to seven children, were tragically killed in that strike,” McKenzie, wearing military uniform, told reporters. “Moreover, we now assess that it is unlikely that the vehicle and those who died were associated with [Islamic State Khorasan] or were a direct threat to US forces.

“I offer my profound condolences to the family and friends of those who were killed. This strike was taken in the earnest belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our forces and the evacuees at the airport. But it was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology.”

McKenzie said it was “not a rushed strike” and efforts had been made to minimise civilian casualties but acknowledged that “a terrible mistake” had been made.

Asked if anyone would be held responsible, he said: “We are in the process right now of continuing that line of investigation.”

For days after the 29 August strike by a single Hellfire missile, Pentagon officials asserted that it had been conducted correctly, even though numerous civilians had been killed, including children. Gen Mark Milley, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, had hailed it as a “righteous strike”.

But news organisations later raised doubts about that version of events, reporting that the driver of the targeted vehicle was a longtime employee at an American humanitarian organisation and citing an absence of evidence to support the Pentagon’s assertion that the vehicle contained explosives.

McKenzie ordered an investigation by Central Command. It found that the strike killed Zemari Ahmadi, a worker for Nutrition and Education International, a nongovernment organisation that distributes food to Afghan civilians, along with nine members of his family. His car was reportedly carrying water bottles rather than explosives.

The New York Times said Ahmadi’s “only connection to the terrorist group appeared to be a fleeting and innocuous interaction with people in what the military believed was an Isis safehouse in Kabul, an initial link that led military analysts to make one mistaken judgment after another while tracking Mr Ahmadi’s movements in a sedan for the next eight hours”.

The US military was on edge at the time of the incident, fearing a repeat of the attack by a suicide bomber that killed dozens of people, including 13 US service members, outside Hamid Karzai international airport ahead of the forces’ controversial withdrawal.

Lloyd Austin, the defense secretary, was briefed on the findings of the investigation on Friday morning and directed a further review. He said in a statement: “I offer my deepest condolences to surviving family members of those who were killed, including Mr Ahmadi, and to the staff of Nutrition and Education International, Mr Ahmadi’s employer.”

He admitted: “We now know that there was no connection between Mr Ahmadi and Isis-Khorasan, that his activities on that day were completely harmless and not at all related to the imminent threat we believed we faced, and that Mr Ahmadi was just as innocent a victim as were the others tragically killed.

“We apologize, and we will endeavor to learn from this horrible mistake.”

Human rights organisations welcomed the investigation as a move towards accountability but demanded further action.

Brian Castner, senior crisis adviser with Amnesty International’s crisis response programme, said: “The US must now commit to a full, transparent, and impartial investigation into this incident. Anyone suspected of criminal responsibility should be prosecuted in a fair trial. Survivors and families of the victims should be kept informed of the progress of the investigation and be given full reparation.

“It should be noted that the US military was only forced to admit to its failure in this strike because of the current global scrutiny on Afghanistan. Many similar strikes in Syria, Iraq, and Somalia have happened out of the spotlight, and the US continues to deny responsibility while devastated families suffer in silence.”

Contributor

David Smith in Washington

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Suspected US drone strike targeting Isis killed civilians in Afghanistan, UN says
Officials did not mention the US specifically, but said the airstrike had been carried out by an international drone – which only the US military operates

Sune Engel Rasmussen in Jalalabad

29, Sep, 2016 @7:26 PM

Article image
Afghanistan drone strike targeted Islamic State ‘planner’ in car, US says
US says there were no known civilian casualties but community elder claims women and children among victims

Jason Burke

28, Aug, 2021 @7:03 PM

Article image
US drone strike 'kills 14 Isis militants in Afghanistan'
Afghan officials say strike killed militants in Kunar province on Thursday but local MP claims victims were civilians

Nicola Slawson

14, Oct, 2017 @10:29 AM

Article image
US military says Mosul airstrike may have killed civilians at hospital
Van carrying Isis fighters was target of US-led coalition airstrike: ‘The van was struck in … a hospital compound parking lot’

Staff and agencies

29, Dec, 2016 @7:17 PM

Article image
Islamic State commander targeted by US military in Syrian airstrike
The Pentagon has yet to determine if it killed Tarkhan Tayumurazovich Batirashvili, describing the Chechen as an Isis war minister

Spencer Ackerman in New York

08, Mar, 2016 @11:52 PM

Article image
Islamic State militants seize four more foreign hostages in Syria
Jihadists flush with arms and relying on shock tactics abduct Europeans and Japanese national as US strikes continue

Martin Chulov, Middle East correspondent

20, Aug, 2014 @7:54 PM

Article image
Islamic State attacks show group is intent on killing Afghan peace hopes
Islamic State’s lethal escalation coincides with renewed efforts to end 17-year Afghan war

Simon Tisdall

01, Aug, 2018 @4:00 AM

Article image
36 Isis militants killed in US 'mother of all bombs' attack, Afghan ministry says
GBU-43/B device targeted Isis ‘tunnel complex’ and is the largest non-nuclear bomb US has used in combat

Spencer Ackerman in New York and Sune Engel Rasmussen in Kabul

14, Apr, 2017 @10:05 AM

Article image
Biden meets remains of 13 troops killed in Kabul as US promises more strikes
As adviser says US will help people leave Afghanistan after deadline, secretary of state tells bereaved father: ‘I’m deeply sorry’

Richard Luscombe and Martin Pengelly

29, Aug, 2021 @8:03 PM

Article image
Deadly US drone strike in Afghanistan not disputed but victims' identities are
The provincial governor claims Isis members were killed at home of ‘facilitator’, but survivors and villagers say civilians were among the dead

Sune Engel Rasmussen in Jalalabad

01, Oct, 2016 @9:00 AM