Radiohead fans pay £2.90 for digital album

When Radiohead invited their fans to pay as much - or as little - as they liked for a digital download of their new album, In Rainbows, it was hailed as the beginning of a new era for the struggling record industry.

When Radiohead invited their fans to pay as much - or as little - as they liked for a digital download of their new album, In Rainbows, it was hailed as the beginning of a new era for the struggling record industry.

So what then, was the ultimate value of the ground-breaking album and its test of the constraints of the digital age? Around £2.90, it would seem.

Research revealed yesterday that a mere 38% of people downloading the album were willing to part with anything at all. Two thirds paid only the 45p charge for handling, according to ComScore, a digital measurement group.

The company said the average amount that less frugal fans were willing to pay was still a paltry $6 (£2.90) - far below the price of a CD or the amount a digital album would cost to download from the Apple iTunes store.

During the first 29 days of October, 1.2 million people worldwide visited the In Rainbows site, with a significant percentage of visitors ultimately downloading the album. The study showed that 38% of global downloaders of the album willingly paid to do so, with the remaining 62% choosing to pay nothing. The percentage downloading for free in the US (60%) is only marginally lower than in the rest of the world (64 %).

The Radiohead "honesty box" experiment has been closely watched by other artists, their record labels and management companies. It was widely seen as the most high-profile attempt yet to restructure the economics of a music industry struggling with the effects of digital piracy. Despite a booming live scene, CD sales are less profitable than ever thanks to increased competition and piracy.

Industry bodies have estimated that worldwide, people download 20 tracks illegally for every digital download they pay for, which may suggest Radiohead has surpassed most other artists in this particular experiment.

Contributor

Alexandra Topping

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Radiohead's bid to revive music industry: pay what you like to download albums

Radiohead are inviting music buyers to decide how much they want to pay for their new album. By Owen Gibson.

Owen Gibson, media correspondent

02, Oct, 2007 @9:30 AM

Top violinist's free digital download targets classical elitism

Following Radiohead's album with its pay-what-you-please strategy, a leading classical performers offering a digital download free of charge. By Mark Brown

Mark Brown, arts correspondent

08, Jan, 2008 @2:16 PM

Article image
Spotify hopes to stream new Radiohead album soon
Streaming service, which has had a difficult relationship with the band, says it is looking forward to making A Moon Shaped Pool available

Guardian music

09, May, 2016 @9:19 AM

Silicon Valley's hippy values 'killing music industry'
U2's manager has called on artists to join him in forcing the 'hippy' technology and internet executives he blames for the collapse of the music industry to help save it. By Owen Gibson in Cannes

Owen Gibson in Cannes

29, Jan, 2008 @7:12 AM

3m Christmas downloads bring cheer to industry

A rush to download music by those who received MP3 players for Christmas helped digital download sales hit an end-of-year record high. By Katie Allen

Katie Allen, media business correspondent

03, Jan, 2008 @7:16 AM

Brussels forces iTunes to cut price of downloads in the UK

Apple has promised to cut the price of iTunes music downloads for UK customers to bring them into line with the cost across the rest of Europe

David Gow and Cathy Heffernan in Brussels

10, Jan, 2008 @11:50 PM

Web disconnection threat to downloaders

Internet users who illegally share music could face having the plug pulled on their web connection after record labels called for new legislation to tackle digital piracy. by Owen Gibson

Owen Gibson, media correspondent

25, Jan, 2008 @7:25 AM

Article image
Piracy growing as fewer fans buy downloads

Record labels are losing the battle against digital piracy as the number of people who download songs legally falls back. By Owen Gibson

Owen Gibson, media correspondent

15, May, 2008 @10:45 AM

Article image
Radiohead's new album costs... whatever you want to pay

The band are releasing In Rainbows as a digital download on October 10 - and fans can pay as much or as little as they want for it.

Rosie Swash

01, Oct, 2007 @3:16 PM

Radiohead offer fans New Year's Eve gig online
Radiohead, who pride themselves on being one of the most technologically literate of bands, have announced that a pre-recorded concert will be available online from midnight to usher in the new year

Sam Jones

28, Dec, 2007 @8:51 AM