'There will be conflict': US has underestimated Huawei, says founder

Ren Zhengfei says firm is fully prepared to face US bans and that 5G plans will be unaffected

The founder of Huawei has said the US “underestimates” the Chinese telecom makers’s strength and that conflict with the US is inevitable in the quest to “stand on top of the world”.

Ren Zhengfei said his company was fully prepared to face US bans on key components following new trade restrictions caused by Donald Trump’s declaration of a national economic emergency last week

“The current practice of US politicians underestimates our strength,” Ren told Chinese media on Tuesday. “Huawei’s 5G will absolutely not be affected. In terms of 5G technologies, others won’t be able to catch up with Huawei in two or three years. We have sacrificed ourselves and our families for our ideal, to stand on top of the world. To reach this ideal, sooner or later there will be conflict with the US.”

Huawei, the world’s largest telecommunications equipment maker, has become a focal point in a protracted trade war with the US. The US has been working to thwart the company’s global 5G ambitions, which it sees as a national security threat to other nations.

US officials added the company to a trade blacklist on Thursday, after Trump issued an executive order to ban the technology and services of “foreign adversaries”.

It has resulted in new restrictions that will make it extremely difficult for the company to do business with US companies. Google confirmed on Monday it was restricting Huawei’s access to the Android operating system on which the Chinese company’s mobile devices depend.

Reuters reported on Sunday that Google had suspended all business with Huawei that required the transfer of hardware, software and technical services, except those publicly available.

Ren’s defiant tone was in contrast to his company’s restrained statement on Monday following reports that Google had pulled the company’s access to Android updates for its phones and tablets. It promised to continue providing security updates and other after-sales services for Huawei devices using Android.

On Monday, the US temporarily eased some of the restrictions, a sign of how the prohibitions on Huawei may have far-reaching and unintended consequences for the telecommunications sector at large.

For the next 90 days, the US Department of Commerce will allow Huawei to purchase US-made goods in order to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to existing Huawei handsets.

A 2015 image of Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei.
The Huawei founder, Ren Zhengfei, pictured in 2015. Photograph: Fabrice Coffrini/AFP/Getty Images

“It appears the intention is to limit unintended impacts on third parties who use Huawei equipment or systems,” said the Washington lawyer Kevin Wolf, a former commerce department official. “It seems they’re trying to prevent network blackouts.”

Ren dismissed the gesture from the department, saying on Tuesday: “The US 90-day temporary licence does not have much impact on us. We are ready.”

Half of chips used in Huawei equipment come from the US and the other half are made by the Chinese company, according to Ren. “We cannot be isolated from the world,” he said. “We can also make the same chips as the US chips, but it doesn’t mean we won’t buy them.”

The Chinese company’s top executive in the UK, Jeremy Thompson, said the US move against Huawei was a “cynically timed” blow in the escalating trade war. “The timing of this is to inflict maximum hurt on our organisation. We’re a football in between this trade war,” he told the BBC.

The Huawei confrontation has been building for years, as the company has raced to establish an advantage over rivals in next-generation 5G mobile technology.

The US intelligence services believe Huawei is backed by the Chinese military and that its equipment could provide Beijing with a backdoor into the communications networks of rival countries. Chinese law requires companies to cooperate with the government on national security issues. As a result, Washington has pushed its closest allies to reject Huawei technology.

The battle over Huawei has added to tensions in a trade war that has escalated between the world’s top two economies, with both sides exchanging steep increases in tariffs as negotiations have faltered.

Asked how long Huawei might face difficulties, Ren said: “You may need to ask Trump about this question, not me.”

Agence France-Presse contributed to this report

Contributor

Lily Kuo in Beijing and agencies

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
US-China trade deal: Donald Trump insists there's no rush to secure deal
Damaging trade war could destabilise the already slowing global economy

Larry Elliott, Lily Kuo in Beijing, and Martin Farrer

10, May, 2019 @4:44 PM

Article image
Could doomsday be nearing as US-China trade war heats up?
Dispute between economic powerhouses is reminiscent of cold war standoff in Cuba

Larry Elliott

10, May, 2019 @5:25 PM

Article image
US-China trade war: all you need to know about Trump's tariffs
The battle between the world’s two largest economies is hotting up – here’s the lowdown

Richard Partington and Jasper Jolly

10, May, 2019 @10:45 AM

Article image
US-China trade skirmishes obscure the start of tech cold war
Huawei dispute shows how Washington is seeking to counter Beijing’s use of technology to gain geopolitical supremacy

Martin Farrer

21, May, 2019 @5:50 AM

Article image
Huawei can prosper despite US sanctions, says board member
Catherine Chen says Chinese telecoms firm will use technical expertise to reach new markets less dependent on the US

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor

01, Sep, 2021 @11:08 AM

Article image
China threatens to cut sales of iPhones and US cars if 'naive' Trump pursues trade war
President-elect ‘will be condemned for his recklessness, ignorance and incompetence’ if he imposes tariffs, says Communist party-controlled paper

Tom Phillips in Beijing

14, Nov, 2016 @8:06 AM

Article image
Trump trade tariffs: Europe threatens US bikes, bourbon and bluejeans
IMF joins China in warning of potential harm from 25% tariff imposed on metal imports but Trump insists ‘trade wars are good’

Dominic Rushe in New York and Benjamin Haas in Seoul

03, Mar, 2018 @2:36 AM

Article image
US-China trade war: Beijing vows to retaliate as tariffs raised – Business live
US has hiked the tariffs on $200bn of Chinese goods to 25% overnight, from 10%, escalating the battle between the two economic powers

Kate Lyons (earlier) and Graeme Wearden (now)

10, May, 2019 @9:37 PM

Article image
Donald Trump's trade war hurting China more than US, says IMF
Brexit uncertainty and impact of Iran sanctions also likely to slow world growth, says Fund

Larry Elliott Economics editor

23, Jul, 2019 @1:00 PM

Article image
'Amazing deal' or 'capitulation'? Why the US-China trade truce may not last
Donald Trump hailed the agreement, but others think it masks a process of deglobalisation as the two superpowers struggle for hegemony

Martin Farrer and Lily Kuo

15, Dec, 2019 @2:57 AM