Yorkshire admit four charges in ECB racism inquiry as Pyrah pulls out

  • Club will no longer take part in CDC hearings next month
  • Michael Vaughan left as only participant due to appear

Yorkshire have admitted four charges of bringing the game into disrepute. In reaching an agreement with the ECB it will not have to take part in the Cricket Discipline Commission hearings into allegations of racism and discrimination at the club, which have been scheduled to start on 1 March.

With Richard Pyrah, Yorkshire’s former player and bowling coach, on Tuesday having joined the list of charged individuals who have withdrawn cooperation with proceedings, the successful conclusion to Yorkshire’s negotiations with the ECB to amend and reduce the six charges they had initially faced means Michael Vaughan is now the only individual or organisation involved in the hearings who is slated to present a defence.

“This agreed position on liability is part of a continued effort to address and take accountability for the cultural issues that have faced the club, and today’s announcement is an important moment on our road to recovery,” said Yorkshire’s co-chairs, Lord Kamlesh Patel and Tanni Grey-Thompson.

“We want to stress the importance of facing up to our past to build a more inclusive and welcoming club for all. Our mission is to create a new foundation for the club and, as such, it was crucial that we acknowledged and accepted responsibility for allowing historical racist and discriminatory behaviour to go unchecked. As an organisation, alongside our members, we have been through so much in working towards a bright future. While the road ahead may not always be smooth, we truly believe that this will help lift a cloud that has been hanging over the club for two years.”

The charges Yorkshire have accepted include a failure to address systemic use of racist or discriminatory language over a prolonged period, and a failure to take adequate action when allegations of discriminatory behaviour were first aired.

For the first time the ECB have named the seven individuals who had been charged with bringing the game into disrepute – whose identities had been revealed in the media and in parliamentary proceedings – as Gary Ballance, John Blain, Tim Bresnan, Andrew Gale, Matthew Hoggard, Pyrah and Vaughan.

Ballance, who has also admitted liability, has returned to Zimbabwe and on Tuesday scored a century on his debut for the Test team against West Indies. Blain, Bresnan, Gale, and Hoggard have pulled out after criticising the process the ECB has overseen. Last week, Bresnan said he felt it was “impossible to have a fair hearing” and that “the outcome is a foregone conclusion”, with the ECB saying that “the disciplinary process has been both rigorous and fair”.

The CDC hearings will deal only with whether those charged have breached ECB Directive 3.3 by being guilty of “conduct which is improper or which may be prejudicial to the interests of cricket or which may bring the ECB, the game of cricket or any cricketer into disrepute”. A panel will then convene to decide on potential sanctions.

Contributor

Simon Burnton

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Yorkshire CCC are institutionally racist. For me there is no other conclusion | Jonathan Liew
The investigation panel may not have found sufficient evidence of racism at the club, but how else can the Azeem Rafiq saga be viewed?

Jonathan Liew

01, Nov, 2021 @10:00 PM

Article image
Cut English cricket’s funding over ‘deep-seated racism’, government urged
A parliamentary inquiry into racism in cricket recommends the government should cut the sport’s funding unless the ECB shows it is serious about tackling the matter

Sean Ingle and Simon Burnton

14, Jan, 2022 @12:01 AM

Article image
English cricket offers Azeem Rafiq apology and promises action on racism
English cricket issued an unreserved apology to Azeem Rafiq, saying the racism he experienced was a blight on the game

Sean Ingle

19, Nov, 2021 @6:44 PM

Article image
Tom Harrison calls racism scandal an ‘earthquake’ as ECB unveils action plan
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison has called cricket’s racism scandal the ‘shock’ that can accelerate change in the sport

Chris Stocks

26, Nov, 2021 @3:02 PM

Article image
Rafiq welcomes chance of ‘closure’ after ECB charges in Yorkshire racism case
A number of people have been charged by the England and Wales Cricket Board following its investigation into allegations of racism at Yorkshire

Simon Burnton

15, Jun, 2022 @1:00 PM

Article image
How 149 seconds of grainy footage made the case for Michael Vaughan
Over four days in a stuffy Fleet Street room, two and a half minutes of video was spliced and diced, with Michael Vaughan’s career on the line

Sean Ingle

01, Apr, 2023 @7:00 AM

Article image
Alex Hales pictured in blackface as English cricket handed a new blow
English cricket has taken another blow after the Azeem Rafiq revelations with Alex Hales pictured in blackface at a New Year’s Eve party

Sean Ingle

19, Nov, 2021 @12:18 AM

Article image
Yorkshire racism hearing to be held in public after request from Azeem Rafiq
The Cricket Disciplinary Commission has granted a request for transparency in the Yorkshire racism inquiry from the central witness Azeem Rafiq, meaning the case will be held in public

Ali Martin

02, Nov, 2022 @10:52 PM

Article image
Six former Yorkshire players sanctioned by CDC in Azeem Rafiq racism case
The ECB’s CDC has published its sanctions against the six former Yorkshire players who were found guilty of using racist language towards Azeem Rafiq

Simon Burnton

26, May, 2023 @4:31 PM

Article image
The Yorkshire racism scandal: how did we get here and what’s next?
With the CDC hearings taking place next month these are the key questions in a complicated and high-profile case

Simon Burnton

07, Feb, 2023 @10:25 PM