Pakistan feel ‘used and binned’ by England’s withdrawal, says PCB chair

  • Ramiz Raja has no faith in England’s promise of 2022 tour
  • ECB made ‘independent’ decision, says High Commissioner

Pakistan have lost faith in English cricket and the promise of a tour in 2022, with contingency plans set to be drawn up amid a belief they will once again be left in the lurch.

The decision by England to cancel a short visit to Pakistan next month and renege on their show of gratitude for the biosecure summer tour last year has drawn widespread criticism with Ramiz Raja, chair of the Pakistan Cricket Board, saying his country feels “used and binned”.

Dr Christian Turner, British High Commissioner to Pakistan, also distanced himself from the ECB’s call on Tuesday, insisting the tour had full government support, there was no advice against it on security grounds and he will “redouble” efforts to ensure the Test and limited-overs trip next year goes ahead.

Turner said: “This was a decision made by the ECB, which is independent of the British government and based on concerns for player welfare. Our travel advice for Pakistan has not changed.”

Ramiz, just over a week into his tenure and already burned by New Zealand’s withdrawal from their tour last Friday because of a security threat made against the team, claims his conversations with Ian Watmore, chair of the England and Wales Cricket Board, left him unconvinced the 2022 trip will materialise.

Asked about this, the former Pakistan opener replied: “I spoke about this with Ian [Watmore] as well. I said, what is the guarantee of England coming back and playing here in 2022? Because a month before that tour you can easily quote tiredness, players being spooked again, sick of living in a bubble, or a threat perception that will once again be not shared with us. He clearly had no answer to that. So we’ll have a back-up plan for sure.”

The ECB appears content to absorb the heat coming its way, with Monday’s statement on the cancellation of a tour that featured both the England men’s and women’s teams – one that cited player wellbeing and “increasing concerns about travelling to the region” – its only public comment thus far.

The England women’s captain Heather Knight says she was not consulted by the ECB over the cancellation.
The England women’s captain Heather Knight says she was not consulted by the ECB over the cancellation. Photograph: Barrington Coombs/ECB/Getty Images

The tour was cleared by the ECB’s security consultants, ESI Risk, and players were not directly canvassed for their views. The governing body instead liaised with the Professional Cricketers’ Association, as well as Richard Bevan from the Team England Player Partnership and England Women’s Player Partnership, both of which represent centrally contracted cricketers.

That said, Ramiz revealed that his talks with Watmore focused solely on the men’s element of the tour – two Twenty20 internationals during a four-day visit – with the women’s two T20s and three ODIs not discussed “at all”. Heather Knight, the England women’s captain, said on Tuesday that she was not consulted by the ECB and it was “a board decision”.

“Ian [Watmore] appeared as if the decision was out of his hands,” Ramiz said. “There were other influences who really made the call on his behalf. England’s take was not security. It was players being spooked and uncomfortable, and the players’ association being iffy.”

It has not been lost on Pakistan that the cancellation allows nine of England’s 18-man squad for the upcoming T20 World Cup – including the captain, Eoin Morgan – to remain with their Indian Premier League franchises until the end of the tournament in the United Arab Emirates, despite talk of bubble burnout.

“It’s a fantastic dichotomy isn’t it?” said Ramiz. “Quoting fatigue and mental tension, players being spooked. But Dubai is an hour and a half away and so before the T20 World Cup they’re happy to be caged in a bubble and carry on in that tournament. One feels slighted and humiliated.”

Pakistan had offered to move the tour from Rawalpindi to Lahore. It has left Pakistan’s home season in tatters, with Ramiz fancying West Indies will be “jittery” ahead of visits by their men and women in November and December. The 59-year-old is also fully expecting Australia to cancel their tour in February as part of the so-called “Western Bloc”.Asked if the International Cricket Council might step in, Ramiz replied: “Nothing will come out of it. [But] we need to coexist with honour and dignity. You can’t treat certain boards roughly, use us and then bin us.

“If you work in little compartments, politicising the game of cricket to get the best matches and forget the rest, it will hit you and the rest eventually.”

Contributor

Ali Martin

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
ECB should break the global silence on Pakistan's sad and strange IPL exile | Jonathan Liew
The unspoken, unexamined decision of the Indian Premier League to ignore one country has turned the dressing room into a proxy battlefield, the auction into a theatre of war

Jonathan Liew

26, Oct, 2020 @7:00 PM

Article image
England in talks about first Pakistan tour since 2005
England are in discussions over a short tour of Pakistan in January – their first visit to the country since 2005 – as a show of gratitude for helping to rescue the recent international summer

Ali Martin

15, Oct, 2020 @7:29 PM

Article image
England accused of ‘making excuses’ after pulling out of Pakistan tour
The England and Cricket Board has called off the tours of Pakistan by England’s men and women next month

Ali Martin

20, Sep, 2021 @6:23 PM

Article image
England tours of Pakistan on knife edge after New Zealand pull out of country
The England and Wales Cricket Board will spend the weekend deciding whether to cancel next month’s tours of Pakistan after New Zealand abandoned their current visit to the country citing security advice

Ali Martin

17, Sep, 2021 @12:00 PM

Article image
Pressure for change is building to protect cricketers from burnout | Ebony Rainford-Brent
A crowded calendar is causing injuries and a player like Jos Buttler could miss matches because of his young family

Ebony Rainford-Brent

20, Sep, 2021 @7:00 AM

Cricket: Clarke seeks to rein in Indian influence as ICC meets

ECB chairman Giles Clarke is to fight for the pre-eminence of Test cricket which risks being marginalised by the IPL

David Hopps

13, Oct, 2008 @11:01 PM

Article image
ECB should not tap its feet for four years before embracing Jofra Archer | Barney Ronay
England are missing a trick by waiting until the gifted Sussex all-rounder is 27 and need to send a yorker through the rule book

Barney Ronay

27, Apr, 2018 @2:57 PM

Article image
England cricketers face biosecure tests in nine-week break from families
England’s Test cricketers have been told to expect daily temperature checks, regular Covid-19 swabs and possibly nine weeks away from their families for the summer Tests against West Indies and Pakistan

Exclusive by Ali Martin

06, May, 2020 @1:35 PM

Article image
Colin Graves leaves ECB with one final push for the Hundred
Colin Graves ends five years as chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board with regrets about his occasional use of the word ‘mediocre’ but none regarding the Hundred

Ali Martin

21, Aug, 2020 @4:32 PM

Article image
After 25 years of the Suits, is the spinning, self-interested ECB still fit for purpose? | Barney Ronay
Slick marketing Suits replaced the fusty Blazers 25 years ago but the cricket landscape now is very different to 1996

Barney Ronay

25, Sep, 2021 @7:00 AM