Mo Bobat challenges England’s Lions players to fight way into Ashes frame

  • Group of 14 players who will travel with full squad named
  • Liam Livingstone and Sam Cook among those who miss out

England’s performance director, Mo Bobat, has challenged members of the Lions squad to fight their way into Test reckoning after the announcement of a group of 14 players who will join those already selected for the Ashes on the flight to Australia and provide opposition in training and two warmup games.

A young group entirely in their 20s includes four players with Test experience in Dom Sibley, Ben Foakes, Mason Crane and James Bracey. Also included are two Lancashire bowlers who were widely tipped for selection in the Ashes squad, the seamer Saqib Mahmood and the spinner Matt Parkinson, but Bobat insisted that for them and others the window of opportunity remains open.

“That’ll definitely be something that motivates those players,” Bobat said. “There’ll be some, and I know this having had some of those conversations, that are disappointed not to be in the full Ashes squad. We’ve picked an Ashes squad that’s 17 in size, which might not be quite as big as it might be. What that ultimately does is give us a chance to reflect, a bit of flexibility as well, and actually if two or three players really stand out on this Lions experience, that’ll really give Joe Root and Chris Silverwood something to think about.

“There’s some players there that we all believe are really exciting, and there’s a good chance for them to take their time to build up, get their skills in a good place, get out to Australia, acclimatise and put forward a compelling case.”

There are also some notable omissions in Sam Cook, the 24-year-old Essex seamer, who took 58 first-class wickets this summer at an average of 14.43, and Liam Livingstone, currently with the T20 World Cup squad after a breakout year in white-ball cricket.

Liam Livingstone had a breakout year in white-ball cricket but misses out on the England Lions squad.
Liam Livingstone had a breakout year in white-ball cricket but misses out on the England Lions squad. Photograph: Graham Hunt/ProSports/Shutterstock

“Do we think there’s a player there of high potential across all disciplines: batting, bowling and fielding? Yes, without question,” Bobat said of Livingstone. “He’s someone we’ll keep having an interest in. But from a red-ball perspective, put simply it felt like there were other players ahead of him right now.”

The Lions squad will travel to Australia along with the players selected for the Ashes who are not at the World Cup on 4 November. The two groups will quarantine together and will play each other in two competitive matches, and the Lions will then play one game against Australia A before those players not chosen to stay on return to England on 16 December.

Counties vote to abandon conference system

The first-class counties decided on Thursday to abandon the conference system trialled in this season’s County Championship and return to two divisions from next summer.

The new structure, which had been decided on in 2018 and was initially due to be introduced in 2020 only for Covid-19 to force a postponement, will see 10 teams – Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Kent, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Somerset, Surrey, Warwickshire and Yorkshire – compete in the First Division and eight – Durham, Derbyshire, Glamorgan, Leicestershire, Middlesex, Nottinghamshire, Sussex, Worcestershire – in the second, with two teams being promoted and two relegated at the end of the campaign.

The teams are in the divisions they would have been in had the competition been played in 2020, which most notably means that Nottinghamshire, who after several years of underachievement had an outstanding campaign this season, remaining in the title chase until the final week before eventually finishing third, will be in the second tier. A majority of counties voted to spend one more season using this year’s system, which allowed every team to start the season with a chance of winning the title, but the two-thirds majority required to alter the existing plans was not reached.

The Spin: sign up and get our weekly cricket email.

In a statement on their website, Nottinghamshire’s director of cricket, Mick Newell, said: “We had hoped that the proposal put forward to play another year of First-Class cricket in conferences, with the finishing positions to determine the divisional structure for 2023, would gain sufficient support.

“However, following the vote, that was not the outcome. This is, of course, disappointing, but it in no way takes away from the achievements of our squad.”

Contributor

Simon Burnton

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
England’s Jonny Bairstow transforms from butt of jokes into Ashes centurion | Ali Martin
In the city where his bizarre first contact with Australia’s Cameron Bancroft occurred, the England wicketkeeper used his head to score 119 and earn the Waca’s acclaim

Ali Martin at the Waca

15, Dec, 2017 @1:21 PM

Article image
Jimmy Anderson a serious doubt for England’s Ashes opener
Jimmy Anderson has suffered a ‘low-grade calf muscle tear’ and could miss the first Test against Australia

Vic Marks

07, Jul, 2019 @12:31 PM

Article image
Player-by-player guide to England’s touring Ashes squad | Tanya Aldred
Chris Silverwood’s 17-man party contains 10 who have never toured Australia before as well as some familiar older heads

Tanya Aldred

10, Oct, 2021 @5:55 PM

Article image
England’s inept afternoon conjures dark memories of 90s Ashes failings | Barney Ronay
Two and a half hours of spills, thrills and bellyaches put Australia out of sight and the home side may already be thinking about how to survive

Barney Ronay at Old Trafford

05, Sep, 2019 @7:17 PM

Article image
Joe Root denies rift between Jimmy Anderson and England’s Ashes coaches
England’s captain insisted the players on the field are responsible for what happens after Jimmy Anderson expressed frustration at a lack of input from the coaching team

Ali Martin in Perth

13, Dec, 2017 @10:18 AM

Article image
England’s Mason Crane passes the Shane Warne test on Ashes debut | Ali Martin
The 20-year-old generated oohs and aahs from deliveries that had Australia batsmen in trouble and had Warne praising his line and ability to spin the ball hard

Ali Martin at the SCG

05, Jan, 2018 @12:11 PM

Article image
England’s Ashes puzzles: what to do about Anderson, Roy – and Stokes | Tim de Lisle
Who makes room for Jimmy Anderson? Should Jason Roy be dropped or moved? And how do make sure Ben Stokes is still on song? There is plenty to ponder before the fourth Test

Tim de Lisle

29, Aug, 2019 @12:09 PM

Article image
England’s cricketers provide voice of reason after racist abuse of Moeen Ali | Barney Ronay
In a heartening collision of the cultural spheres Moeen’s England teammates were quick to jump in when he was abused by dissident free-thinker Taslima Nasreen

Barney Ronay

09, Apr, 2021 @11:55 AM

Article image
BT and Sky battle to keep England’s Ashes Unnameables anonymous | Marina Hyde
Joe Root is light years away from the visibility David Gower enjoyed and, away from terrestrial TV, some team-mates in Australia might as well be in a witness protection programme

Marina Hyde

22, Nov, 2017 @1:00 PM

Article image
Toby Roland-Jones out of England’s Ashes squad after back injury diagnosis
Toby Roland-Jones will be missing from England’s Ashes squad when it is named on Wednesday after the Middlesex seamer was diagnosed with a stress fracture to his lower back

Ali Martin

22, Sep, 2017 @5:29 PM