Olympic official rejects Peng Shuai video call criticism as ‘silly’

Dick Pound defends IOC saying it was able to reach missing Chinese tennis star while others could not

A senior Olympic official has defended his organisation’s efforts to confirm the safety of Peng Shuai, dismissing criticism as “silly” and saying no one else had been able to get in touch with the tennis star who went missing after publishing allegations of sexual assault.

Dick Pound, who has held a variety of posts with the IOC over 45 years and is the chairman of Olympic Broadcasting Services, rejected criticism of the IOC for giving minimal information after its president, Thomas Bach, spoke with Peng via video link last week. Some had accused the IOC of seeking to not anger Beijing and prioritising the commercial relationship over the safety of athletes. China is due to host the Winter Olympics in February.

Pound’s defence of his organisation’s handling of the case came as calls grow from western countries for China to release clear evidence that Peng is safe.

“The EU requests the Chinese government to provide verifiable proof of Peng Shuai’s safety, wellbeing and whereabouts,” the bloc said in a statement on Tuesday.

It also urged “the Chinese authorities to conduct a full, fair and transparent investigation into her allegations of sexual assault” against a retired senior Chinese official.

In an interview with Bloomberg on Tuesday, Pound said criticisms of his organisation were “silly” and “not supported by the evidence”. He said the fact the IOC had been able to contact her when others hadn’t should provide reassurance, and suggested it was not unusual.

“I was disappointed, I thought everyone was anxious to find out that she was fine and healthy. The IOC was able to establish that and the others were not. All of a sudden it becomes somebody else’s fault that their questions haven’t been answered,” he said.

In an essay posted to social media this month, Peng, a former doubles world No 1, accused Zhang Gaoli, a former Chinese vice-premier, of coercing her into sex her three years ago. The post was quickly deleted and Peng was not seen in public for more than two weeks as the Women’s Tennis Association and colleagues said they were unable to reach her.

As an international campaign for answers on her whereabouts built, fuelled by ham-fisted apparent propaganda released by Chinese state media, the IOC was urged to leverage the Beijing Winter Games to seek assurances of Peng’s safety.

A subsequent 30-minute call with Peng included Bach, the IOC athletes’ commission chair, Emma Terho, and IOC member Li Lingwei, a former vice-president of the Chinese Tennis Association. Bach said Peng had told them she was safe and well and wanted privacy.

However human rights groups and others advocating for Peng said they remained concerned she was not able to speak freely, and criticised the IOC for not addressing the original allegations, or why Peng had not made any further posts or why her friends could not reach her.

Yaqiu Wang, senior China researcher at Human Rights Watch, accused the IOC of “actively playing a role in the Chinese government’s enforced disappearance, coercion and propaganda machinery”.

Pound said on Tuesday that people “not on the call” did not have the benefit of knowing what the discussion may have been, and everyone “should be reassured she is fine and healthy and there are no signs of compulsion, rather than speculating what might be the case.”

The IOC, and Pound specifically, have resisted calls to release the tape of the call.

Meanwhile, a British pro-Beijing commentator for CGTN, China’s state-owned English-language news broadcaster, said on Monday that he had been banned by the outlet for publicly questioning CGTN’s ability to convince the world about Peng’s wellbeing.

CGTN had released text it claimed was an email from Peng to the WTA, but this was widely dismissed as suspicious.

South Korea-based Tom Fowdy said in an English-language post on China’s social media site Weibo that he wrote that piece on the Russian state-owned news website RT because “I love China and I despise what the US are doing in their propaganda war every day”.

“Sometimes though we cannot run away from the truth just because we want to pretend things are great, when they may not be,” he wrote.

Contributors

Helen Davidson and Vincent Ni

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
China hits back at WTA as IOC says it has spoken again to Peng Shuai
ATP and ITF steer clear of the subject of future events in a market worth billions of dollars

Vincent Ni China affairs correspondent

02, Dec, 2021 @6:42 PM

Article image
Peng Shuai retracts sexual assault claims as fears over wellbeing persist
Claim contradicts Chinese tennis player’s social media post in which she accused senior party figure of coercing her into sex

Vincent Ni China affairs correspondent

19, Dec, 2021 @2:58 PM

Article image
WTA’s hardline approach to Peng Shuai presents China with new problem
Analysis: Up to now sports associations have rapidly backed down from rows with Beijing

Vincent Ni China affairs correspondent

19, Nov, 2021 @3:10 PM

Article image
Unanswered questions over Peng Shuai show power of sport has its limits | Sean Ingle
For all the talk of sport as a catalyst for change, ongoing fears for former tennis star suggest oppressive regimes hold all the cards

Sean Ingle

25, Sep, 2023 @7:00 AM

Article image
China condemns ‘malicious hyping’ over Peng Shuai
Foreign ministry takes unrepentant stance to concerns in west over wellbeing of tennis player

Vincent Ni China affairs correspondent

23, Nov, 2021 @10:40 AM

Article image
Peng Shuai says Weibo post sparked ‘enormous misunderstanding’
Tennis player gave interview to L’Équipe on sidelines of Beijing Olympics, accompanied by Chinese official

Helen Davidson in Taipei

07, Feb, 2022 @3:54 PM

Article image
Peng Shuai backlash leaves IOC facing familiar criticism over human rights
Analysis: Olympic committee is accused of engaging in a ‘publicity stunt’ by taking part in video call

Vincent Ni China affairs correspondent

22, Nov, 2021 @4:37 PM

Article image
China must answer serious questions about tennis star Peng Shuai, Australia says
Human rights activists step up calls for diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics

Daniel Hurst

22, Nov, 2021 @9:57 PM

Article image
Serena Williams joins chorus of concern over whereabouts of Peng Shuai
Tennis star says she is ‘devastated and shocked’ over the disappearance of the Chinese player as others join calls for investigation

Tumaini Carayol and Vincent Ni

18, Nov, 2021 @7:46 PM

Article image
Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai tells IOC she is ‘safe and well’
Governing body says Peng spoke to its president for 30 minutes after growing demands for assurances of her safety

Helen Davidson in Taipei and agencies

22, Nov, 2021 @12:47 AM