ECB ponders Covid passports to get fans back into grounds for championship

  • ECB exploring all possibilities for spectators to return
  • New season will begin without fans on 8 April

As the county season prepares to burst into life on 8 April with the first round of Championship matches, the ECB revealed that it is pondering the use of Covid passports once crowds are again allowed into grounds.

Games will be played in front of empty stands until at least 17 May, when venues will be allowed to fill up to 25% capacity. The ECB is then exploring all possibilities to allow as many people through the turnstiles as possible once most restrictions are lifted, in theory, on 21 June – though much will depend on government guidance and the needs of different local authorities.

“There has been a lot of talk,” said Neil Snowball, the ECB’s managing director of county cricket. “We have gone from no passports to suddenly now looking at a Covid certification. We will explore anything that enables us to get our members back and our spectators back. At the moment it looks like that might happen.

“If you look at 21 June, it is going to be a question of balancing three things. One, if there is going to be some sort of passport or Covid certification, second is testing, third is some sort of social distancing – and we have said we will do whatever we are asked to do to make sure we can get the maximum number of people back.

“The ideal would be some sort of certification with an element of social distancing and probably wearing masks.”

The Spin: sign up and get our weekly cricket email.

The ECB also announced that, as last year, adding saliva to the ball will be banned in all cricket and that teams will again be awarded eight points for a draw in this year’s County Championship – where rules on the new ball, over rates and the follow-on revert to 2019 standards. Should any match in the new group stages of the Championship be cancelled, all group positions will be determined on an average points per completed match basis. A new law will be brought in this summer which states that if a helmet or part of a helmet breaks the wicket, the batsman will not be out.

Contributor

Tanya Aldred

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
County Championship under threat if domestic cricket season is curtailed
The ECB are desperate for the Hundred to go ahead and the Royal London Cup is another competition that may be delayed or scrapped to make room in a crowded schedule

Ali Martin

17, Mar, 2020 @6:51 PM

Article image
ECB reveals new County Championship structure and South Africa tour boost
Some clarity has emerged for cricket with news of a restructured County Championship for 2021 and the expectation that England’s tour of South Africa next month will go ahead

Ali Martin

16, Oct, 2020 @2:32 PM

Article image
Counties balk at ECB plan for Championship restructure

ECB proposals to try to halt worsening county finances have been greeted with alarm after Durham were forced to admit that an Indian businessman had secretly invested £2.4m to part-fund redevelopment

David Hopps

29, Apr, 2010 @7:45 PM

Article image
Relegated Durham start Division Two life at home against Nottinghamshire
Durham were relegated after their £3.8m bailout by the England and Wales Cricket Board while day-night county matches will start in late June before England’s first floodlit Test

Ali Martin

24, Nov, 2016 @11:58 PM

Article image
Ian Botham wants to be the spark that helps relight Durham’s fire | Ali Martin
Ian Botham is in talks with Durham and keen to provide the jolt that helps keep the three-times champions in the public consciousness

Ali Martin

04, Oct, 2016 @6:44 PM

Article image
Coronavirus crisis makes Hundred even more essential, claims ECB chief
Tom Harrison, the ECB’s chief executive, says the pandemic makes the Hundred ‘something cricket needs to get behind’ ahead of Wednesday’s meeting to decide if it will take place in 2020

Ali Martin

24, Apr, 2020 @5:00 PM

Article image
ECB believes it has county support to slash championship matches
Andrew Strauss is backing an ECB plan to reduce the number of four-day matches in a move to improve one-day skills before home World Cup

Ali Martin

02, Sep, 2015 @7:12 PM

Article image
Ten wickets divide South and North but crowds avoid county cricket’s Dubai jaunt
The locals appear to have little interest in English cricket’s experiment in the UAE, but the players are fighting for their futures – and South’s 10-wicket win over North will have given Andrew Strauss much to ponder

Will Macpherson at Dubai International Cricket Stadium

17, Mar, 2017 @1:09 PM

Article image
Counties hope 2020 cricket season can still take place despite disruption
The ECB has produced a range of contingency plans for the summer and the £50m strategic infrastructure fund may be used to ease cashflow

Ali Martin

19, Mar, 2020 @6:41 PM

Article image
ECB puts decision on hold over County Championship rejig proposals
Discussions will continue during the winter with counties over plans to cut Championship games from 16 to 14

Ali Martin

16, Sep, 2015 @4:20 PM