England cricketers demand clarity over Ashes travel restrictions for families

  • Players may decide not travel to Australia amid hectic schedule
  • Michael Vaughan says a full-strength England team is unlikely

England’s players will seek clarity in the coming days over whether their families will be allowed to join them in Australia for this winter’s Ashes series, amid concerns that some might decide not to participate if it means being separated for several months.

While England’s schedule is always busy – over the last two years they have had 23% more scheduled days of international cricket than India and 54% more than Australia – their forthcoming fixture list is so hectic that a player involved in all of their matches in every format would not get more than a few consecutive days at home between next week and next February.

It might take some time for the players to receive the clarity they seek, as arrangements for the Ashes cannot be confirmed until they are approved by Australia’s border force commissioner. However, it seems unlikely that conditions imposed for their visit will differ significantly from those faced by India when they arrived in the country last November, on which occasion a limited number of family members were eventually allowed in – but only after the touring side’s coach, Ravi Shastri, threatened to pull out of the tour unless they were accommodated.

On that occasion India’s tour swiftly followed the conclusion of the Indian Premier League, which had been moved to Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates, and during which players were isolated without their families in biosecure bubbles for up to 80 days.

The International Cricket Council eventually named a group of 60 people who were allowed into the country, which included players, coaches, support staff and families.

Last week the former England Test captain Michael Vaughan warned that Australia’s stringent border controls would put sports teams off visiting the country. “If Australia continue to lock the borders and make it very, very difficult there will come a stage where a sports team decides not to come,” he told the ABC. “I’m not saying that will be the England cricket team but … as we speak, I would be amazed if England have a full-strength team for the Ashes.”

It is unlikely that any player will be involved in all the cricket England are scheduled to play over the next six months. Since the start of the pandemic the England and Wales Cricket Board has made it a priority to ensure that every player gets regular time off, and their schedule is such that Joe Root’s declaration last month that “we are coming into a period of time now where rest and rotation is put behind us” seems premature.

The Spin: sign up and get our weekly cricket email.

The Test squad will assemble at the end of this week before the first match of a five-Test home series against India, which starts at Trent Bridge on Wednesday next week. That series ends on 14 September, and within a few days – nothing is set in stone but 19 September has been mooted – a limited-overs side will leave for Bangladesh, where they will play three ODIs as part of the ICC’s World Cup Super League, followed by three T20s.

After that comes the T20 World Cup, recently relocated from India to the UAE and Oman, which runs from 17 October to 14 November. If England, currently ranked No 1 by the ICC, were to reach the final any players included in both squads would then have just over three weeks before the Ashes series starts in Brisbane on 8 December, of which 14 days would have to be spent in Australian quarantine.

The Ashes series ends in Perth on 18 January, 10 days before the first of five T20 matches in the West Indies, the last of which is scheduled for 5 February. It is at this point that England’s players can relax – for 24 days, before they are due back in the West Indies to play a warm-up match before a three-Test series in March.

Contributor

Simon Burnton

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
England players to decide this weekend over participation on Ashes tour
A meeting has been scheduled for Friday at which England’s Test players will finally be briefed about detailed plans for this winter’s Ashes tour

Simon Burnton

29, Sep, 2021 @2:14 PM

Article image
Australia’s day-night dominance puts England Ashes tactics under scrutiny | Ali Martin
The top seven is unlikely to change but the balance of England’s Adelaide attack will be crucial to chances of levelling the series

Ali Martin in Adelaide

14, Dec, 2021 @6:00 PM

Article image
Ashes will only go ahead if enough leading England players tour
The future of the Ashes tour remains in the balance with the ECB insisting it must select a squad ‘befitting a series of this significance’

Ali Martin

04, Oct, 2021 @5:38 PM

Article image
Zak Crawley poised for England recall in Ashes Boxing Day Test
Zak Crawley is poised for a recall on Boxing Day as England ponder up to four changes for the third Test in a bid to halt their faltering Ashes campaign

Ali Martin in Melbourne

22, Dec, 2021 @12:00 PM

Article image
Five things England must fix before the second Ashes Test | Tim de Lisle
Mistakes were made in selection as well as batting, bowling and fielding but Australia can be beaten if improvements are made

Tim de Lisle

12, Dec, 2021 @8:00 PM

Article image
England batters are forced to rewatch wickets in heated Ashes meeting
A forthright England team meeting saw batters forced to rewatch 14 of their dismissals during the 275-run defeat in Adelaide

Exclusive by Ali Martin

22, Dec, 2021 @6:00 PM

Article image
England head to ‘special’ SCG Test in search of Ashes inspiration | Ali Martin
The Ashes may be lost but there is still much to gain in the last two Tests, starting at a location where plenty of England heroics have been witnessed

Ali Martin in Sydney

03, Jan, 2022 @6:00 PM

Article image
Joe Root wants post-Ashes England ‘reset’ but puts off captaincy discussion
Joe Root called for a rethink on the red-ball game in England after Australia stormed to a decisive 3-0 series lead

Ali Martin at Melbourne Cricket Ground

28, Dec, 2021 @9:48 AM

Article image
Root and Malan’s unbroken 159 leads England fightback in first Ashes Test
Joe Root and Dawid Malan dug in as England stopped the rot and made a draw a very real possibility, ending day three 58 behind with eight wickets standing

Ali Martin

10, Dec, 2021 @8:09 AM

Article image
Woakes dismisses Botham’s claim England used Covid as Ashes excuse
Chris Woakes has dismissed Ian Botham’s suggestion that England’s Test players had used Covid restrictions as an excuse to avoid committing to the forthcoming Ashes series

Simon Burnton

11, Oct, 2021 @4:43 PM