Englishman Anthony Davidson was close to joining Honda for next season before the team's withdrawal from formula one

• 'I'm in a similar situation to Jenson Button,' says 29-year-old
• Driver rules out return to GP2

Anthony Davidson admits that he had "serious talks" with Honda regarding the possibility of him joining the team for next season only for the plans to be scuppered following their withdrawal from formula one.

The Englishman began working with Honda following the collapse of his then team Super Aguri last May and it appeared the link-up would lead to a return to the grid for the 29-year-old. That hope, however, appears to have ended after the Japanese manufactuer announced last month that it was leaving the sport.

"I was in serious talks of not only trying to get a race drive for the year with the team, but as the bare minimum getting a reserve drive," said Davidson. "Talks were progressing really well and the deal was almost done with just a few weeks to spare before the announcement, and it now leaves me in a very similar situation to what Jenson [Button] faces."

Davidson admits his chances of putting together an alternate deal in formula one for the forthcoming season are "very slim."

"You should never give up but I am a realist as well and I have learned that over the last year and the year before," he added. Davidson, with 24 grands prix under his belt, ruled out reviving his career by stepping back into the support category GP2.

"Unfortunately GP2 survives on the paying driver," he explained. "That pretty much puts that out the window."

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Motor racing: Honda is reportedly close to selling its formula one team
A Japanese newspaper has reported that Honda is close to a deal for selling its formula one team

03, Mar, 2009 @11:49 AM

Article image
Formula one: Rubens Barrichello is expected to be named ahead of Bruno Senna as Jenson Button's new team-mate at Honda

Rubens Barrichello is expected to beat the challenge of Bruno Senna for the last seat on this year's formula one starting grid

Alan Henry

04, Mar, 2009 @1:50 AM

Article image
Formula one: Button ready as Honda buyout moves closer

Formula one: Jenson Button is expected to give the new Honda a test drive at Silverstone next Thursday

Alan Henry

28, Feb, 2009 @12:05 AM

Article image
McLaren-Honda unveil car for 2015 F1 world championship
McLaren and Honda, one of the most famous partnerships in Formula One with 44 victories and eight world championships, have unveiled their 2015 car

Paul Weaver

29, Jan, 2015 @1:08 PM

Formula One: Hamilton set to be undoing of Button

Lewis Hamilton's performance in this year's GP2 could see him supercede Jenson Button as Britain's top driver, says Maurice Hamilton.

Maurice Hamilton

17, Jun, 2006 @11:05 PM

Article image
McLaren’s disastrous season may drive unsentimental Honda out of F1 | Richard Williams
Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button have kept a lid on their frustrations but Honda have jumped ship before – and is there a point at which even McLaren will think enough is enough?

Richard Williams

24, Jul, 2015 @3:20 PM

Article image
Motor racing: Honda future safe after Brawn buy-out

Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello will line up for the opening race of the season after Ross Brawn completed his takeover of Honda

Alan Henry

06, Mar, 2009 @10:01 PM

Article image
Jenson Button and McLaren-Honda frustrated in Barcelona as seal fails
Jenson Button and McClaren-Honda endured a frustrating day in Barcelona on Saturday when he was the slowest driver on show after his MGU-K engine seal design failed again

Paul Weaver

21, Feb, 2015 @7:34 PM

Article image
Formula one: Honda saved and all set for Australian grand prix, says website
Website says Brackley-based formula one team has found sponsors

13, Feb, 2009 @11:06 AM

Article image
Jenson Button happy at McLaren and hoping to be a part of new Honda era
Jenson Button has said he wants to still be with McLaren when they start using Honda engines once more from 2015

Paul Weaver at Monza

04, Sep, 2013 @9:01 PM