Plácido Domingo withdraws from Royal Opera House appearances

Spanish singer facing multiple allegations of sexual harassment will not appear in Verdi’s Don Carlo in July

The Royal Opera House has announced that Plácido Domingo is to withdraw from scheduled appearances in Verdi’s Don Carlo in July. The 79-year-old singer, facing multiple allegations of sexual harassment, has found his career in the US effectively ended, but has continued to perform in Europe. There had been much criticism of the London opera house’s failure to act.

Domingo issued a statement last week in which he apologised to his accusers “for the hurt that I caused … I accept full responsibility for my actions,” but his apparent mea culpa triggered a backlash and cancellations in Spanish opera houses, and in a subsequent statement he sought to row back and clarify.

“I know what I haven’t done and I will deny it again. I never behaved aggressively with anyone and I have never done anything to obstruct or impede anyone’s career,” he said. “My apology was sincere and from the bottom of my heart to any colleagues whom I could have hurt in any way by something I said or did. As I have demonstrated on many occasions, it was never my intention to hurt or offend anyone.”

In a statement on Friday, the Covent Garden opera house made clear that it had not received complaints against the singer during his time there, and that the withdrawal was a mutual decision.

“The Royal Opera House and Maestro ‪Plácido Domingo have mutually decided that he will withdraw from the Royal Opera House’s upcoming performances of Don Carlo in July 2020. We would like to confirm that we have received no claims of misconduct against Maestro Domingo during his time at the Royal Opera House and are sympathetic of his reasons for stepping down. Plácido is an outstanding singer and artist and we are hugely grateful for his support and commitment over many decades. We will announce the casting for his role in Don Carlo in due course.”



Contributor

Imogen Tilden

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Plácido Domingo apologises to his accusers
Opera star takes ‘full responsibility’ for actions as US union concludes investigation into alleged inappropriate behaviour

Guardian staff and agencies

25, Feb, 2020 @1:29 PM

Article image
Comment: The accusations go back years – so why has the opera world rallied round Plácido Domingo?
Opera houses might have turned a blind eye to sexually predatory behaviour in the past, but no-one should be above the law

Martin Kettle

15, Aug, 2019 @12:11 PM

Article image
Plácido Domingo gala cancelled amid sexual harassment claims
Dallas Opera abandons 2020 event as 20 women accuse singer of harassing them

Sam Jones in Madrid

06, Sep, 2019 @11:38 AM

Article image
Nabucco review – Plácido Domingo injects star quality into drab production
The tenor-turned-baritone returns as Verdi’s Babylonian king in a musically strong but bloodless staging

Erica Jeal

07, Jun, 2016 @12:27 PM

Article image
Plácido Domingo Celebration – review
Domingo didn't always play to his strengths in this Covent Garden celebration of the house's favourite tenor, writes George Hall

George Hall

28, Oct, 2011 @11:27 AM

Article image
Plácido Domingo: US opera houses respond to 'concerning' allegations
Domingo, who has been accused of sexual harassment by several women, has seen an invitation rescinded as internal investigations are mounted

Adrian Horton in New York

13, Aug, 2019 @10:45 PM

Article image
Operalia: how Plácido Domingo put the x factor into opera
For more than 20 years, Domingo’s singing competition Operalia has provided a springboard for some of the world’s biggest stars. As it comes to London for the first time, he explains why he is on a mission to nurture new talent

Tom Service

27, Jun, 2015 @8:00 AM

Article image
‘Show some respect’, Plácido Domingo urges directors after opera rape row
The great singer, whose Operalia competition comes to London next week, says stage productions need to stay close to composer’s intention

Vanessa Thorpe Arts and media correspondent

04, Jul, 2015 @9:11 PM

Article image
Royal Opera music director rails at young opera stars' 'weakness'
Antonio Pappano claims that 'they are weaker in their bodies or don't care' and are too ready to pull out of productions

Maev Kennedy

13, Mar, 2013 @5:55 PM

World Cup fever for Plácido Domingo
Spanish opera superstar jets out to South Africa to celebrate win, writes John Crace

John Crace

13, Jul, 2010 @9:45 PM