Plácido Domingo gala cancelled amid sexual harassment claims

Dallas Opera abandons 2020 event as 20 women accuse singer of harassing them

The Dallas Opera has cancelled a gala in which Plácido Domingo was due to perform after the growing number of sexual harassment allegations against the Spanish singer.

Twenty women have accused Domingo, the general director of the Los Angeles Opera, of sexually harassing them in incidents dating back to the late 1980s.

Domingo, 78, has described the accusations, first reported by the Associated Press, as “deeply troubling and, as presented, inaccurate”.

Late on Thursday, the Dallas Opera said it had decided to abandon a gala featuring Domingo next year. “In light of ongoing developments regarding allegations made against Plácido Domingo, the Dallas Opera has decided to cancel the March 11 2020 gala, in which he was scheduled to perform,” it tweeted.

Nine women – eight singers and a dancer – told the news agency last month they had been harassed by Domingo, prompting LA Opera to begin an investigation into the singer, who has been its general director since 2003.

Earlier on Thursday, the Associated Press (AP) reported that 11 more women had come forward with similar allegations, including a former Washington National Opera singer who said Domingo had groped her so hard during the 1999-2000 season that she cried out in pain.

Angela Turner Wilson said she had been felt compelled to speak out after Domingo reacted to the allegations by suggesting that “the rules and standards by which we are and should be measured against today are very different than they were in the past”.

Washington National Opera issued a statement saying it was “disturbed and disheartened”, while the Los Angeles Opera said it took the new allegations “extremely seriously” but could not discuss any specific claims because of the investigation.

Among the latest accusers are LA Opera backstage staff who said Domingo’s alleged behaviour was common knowledge and that management had been aware of it for decades. Some costume department employees also said they made it a point to keep young female singers away from him.

The Metropolitan Opera in New York said it would continue to await LA Opera’s findings before making any final decisions about Domingo’s future at the Met, where he is scheduled to perform starting on 25 September.

A spokeswoman for Domingo accused AP of conducting an “inaccurate [and] unethical” campaign against the singer and described the latest claims as “riddled with inconsistencies and, as with the first story, in many ways, simply incorrect”.

She added: “Due to an ongoing investigation, we will not comment on specifics, but we strongly dispute the misleading picture that the AP is attempting to paint of Mr Domingo.”

Contributor

Sam Jones in Madrid

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Plácido Domingo accused of sexual harassment
Allegations ‘deeply troubling’ – I believed my relationships were consensual, says opera star

Angela Giuffrida in Rome and Imogen Tilden

13, Aug, 2019 @12:20 PM

Article image
Plácido Domingo says 'gallant gestures' behind sexual harassment claims
Tenor says Spaniards are ‘warm, affectionate and loving’ in interview with Spanish online newspaper

Guardian staff and agencies

29, Nov, 2019 @6:59 PM

Article image
Plácido Domingo apologises to his accusers
Opera star takes ‘full responsibility’ for actions as US union concludes investigation into alleged inappropriate behaviour

Guardian staff and agencies

25, Feb, 2020 @1:29 PM

Article image
Plácido Domingo accused by 11 more women of harassment
One woman claims Spanish opera singer groped her so hard she cried out in pain

Sam Jones in Madrid

05, Sep, 2019 @9:55 AM

Article image
Plácido Domingo resigns from Los Angeles Opera amid sexual harassment claims
Star steps down as general director and withdraws from future performances, marking end to US career

Maanvi Singh

02, Oct, 2019 @8:26 PM

Article image
Plácido Domingo withdraws from Royal Opera House appearances
Spanish singer facing multiple allegations of sexual harassment will not appear in Verdi’s Don Carlo in July

Imogen Tilden

06, Mar, 2020 @5:22 PM

Article image
Placido Domingo gets standing ovation in first performance since sexual harassment claims
Concert in Salzburg marks opera singer’s first outing since nine women accused him of harassment

Staff and agencies

26, Aug, 2019 @12:29 AM

Article image
Plácido Domingo Celebration – review
Domingo didn't always play to his strengths in this Covent Garden celebration of the house's favourite tenor, writes George Hall

George Hall

28, Oct, 2011 @11:27 AM

Article image
Plácido Domingo: US opera houses respond to 'concerning' allegations
Domingo, who has been accused of sexual harassment by several women, has seen an invitation rescinded as internal investigations are mounted

Adrian Horton in New York

13, Aug, 2019 @10:45 PM

Article image
Comment: The accusations go back years – so why has the opera world rallied round Plácido Domingo?
Opera houses might have turned a blind eye to sexually predatory behaviour in the past, but no-one should be above the law

Martin Kettle

15, Aug, 2019 @12:11 PM