U2 have hinted that they will headline Glastonbury 2011, telling fans to "watch this space". Asked if Bono and co will be making an appearance the year after being forced to cancel their 2010 headline slot, U2's manager, Paul McGuinness, said: "We're certainly excited about our plans for next year. Watch this space!" A story on the band's site also advised fans to buy tickets to Glastonbury 2011.
Earlier this year, the Irish band were forced to cancel their Glastonbury headline slot after Bono suffered a serious back injury during rehearsals in May. At the time, the band said they were "heartbroken" at not being able to play, while Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis expressed a wish for them to return to the festival the following year.
A post on U2.com reads: "Looking at the tour dates – there is a gap in the band's schedule ahead of the East Lansing show on June 26th, which would make the Friday night a possibility."
Tickets for next year's festival went on sale this weekend and sold out in just under four hours, despite no acts having been confirmed.
Glastonbury festival could neither confirm nor deny a U2 headline slot, although Eavis told the Guardian: "Nothing's fully confirmed yet. We're obviously planning all sorts of things. The three headliners will be incredibly impressive – absolutely fantastic – I can guarantee that. It'll be on a par with this year, and possibly slightly better."
The Guardian is the official media sponsor of Glastonbury festival, which takes place in Pilton on 22-26 June 2011.