Thank you for recognising the immensely valuable work that CBeebies does (Editorial, 24 September), leading the way with diversity, particularly for those with disabilities. My non-vocal five-year-old (and myself) have learned most of our communication skills from Mr Tumble and other signed programmes on CBeebies. During the first lockdown CBeebies saved our lives. It is a vital service.
South Brent, Devon
• Angela Rayner describes the Tories as “homophobic, racist, misogynistic, absolute vile … banana republic, vile, nasty, Etonian … piece of scum”. It’s telling that “scum” is the only word being questioned (Angela Rayner stands by labelling of Tories as ‘scum’, 26 September).
• Regarding imperial measures, Dr Eric Goodyear says the one inch was based on the length of Henry VIII’s nose (Letters, 24 September). That comparison today would be more like six inches, and growing, if we based it on our prime minister’s nose. But then that’s inflation.
• In a music shop, I asked for the score of Beethoven’s Second Symphony. Assistant: “Have you got the name? It’s not a lot to go on.”
• In south Shropshire in the 1960s, the autumn half-term was known as potato picking week (Letters, 23 September).
Dr Clare Slater
• Same old news. The Tories destroying the country. The Labour party destroying the Labour party.
Julian Le Vay
• Have an opinion on anything you’ve read in the Guardian today? Please email us your letter and it will be considered for publication.