Rupert Murdoch says 'sorry' in ad campaign

News Corporation boss admits 'serious wrongdoing' over NoW phone-hacking scandal and apologises in newspaper adverts

Rupert Murdoch has continued to attempt to rebuild his newspaper empire's tarnished reputation by placing a full-page advert in every national newspaper bearing his signature and declaring: "We are sorry."

The advert, signed by the News Corp chairman and chief executive, forms part of what appears to be a more concerted effort to stem the fallout from the phone-hacking scandal, which began on Friday with the resignation of News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks in the morning, and Murdoch paying a penitent visit to the family of murdered teenager Milly Dowler in the afternoon.

In the press advert Murdoch says he is sorry for the "serious wrongdoing that occurred" and "for the hurt suffered by the individuals affected … we regret not acting faster to sort things out."

He also raises the prospect of more such communications in the near future: "In the coming days, as we take further concrete steps to resolve these issues and make amends for the damage they have caused, you will hear more from us."

The blanket advertising campaign comes days after News Corp called in the US PR and lobbying firm Edelman to help the embattled company tackle the political pressure and public backlash over revelations of phone hacking at the now defunct News of the World.

Danny Rogers, editor-in-chief of PR Week, said: "It's been a fairly disastrous PR strategy so far. The usual advice on this sort of crisis is that you get all the bad stuff out as early as you can, isolate the problem and begin the rehabilitation. They clearly haven't done that. The longer this drags on the more damaging it is going to be in the long term."

Mark Borkowski, an entertainment PR specialist, said the advert was an old-fashioned tactic in the digital era. "It feels a bit old-school but in some ways underlines that newspaper adverts can still have an effect. It's classic damage limitation mode. Rupert Murdoch's taken charge of the situation and gone back to what he understands best."

Guardian News & Media said: "News International responded to our original revelations about phone hacking in July 2009 by telling MPs that we had 'deliberately misled' the British public. It has taken two years of subsequent reporting by the Guardian to force the truth out.

"We are happy to accept News International's paid-for advertisements apologising for the reality of what our journalism revealed. The money we receive from News International will be donated to charity."

Contributor

John Plunkett

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
News Corp in crisis, but Rupert Murdoch determined to protect son
Risky strategy pits executive against executive, while speculation rife that Rebekah Brooks is acting as 'firebreak'

Dan Sabbagh

11, Jul, 2011 @8:46 PM

Article image
Departure of Rebekah Brooks leaves James Murdoch 'exposed'
Reaction to Brooks's resignation highlights difficult days ahead for News Corp's 'relatively inexperienced' boss

Sam Jones, Nicholas Watt and Rajeev Syal

15, Jul, 2011 @8:00 PM

Article image
News of the World: Murdoch takes the initiative, but will it end the crisis?

Dan Sabbagh: News International's closure of its 167-year-old title is unlikely to be enough to quell the growing tide of criticism

Dan Sabbagh

07, Jul, 2011 @6:42 PM

Article image
Rupert Murdoch: I knew nothing about phone hacking
News Corp chief gives hesitant performance in front of MPs, but son admits firm contributed to private investigator's legal fees. By John Plunkett

John Plunkett

19, Jul, 2011 @3:57 PM

Article image
The questions Rupert Murdoch must answer at the Leveson inquiry
The News Corp boss must address allegations over the BSkyB bid, his relationship with politicians and his papers' illegal activity

Nick Davies

24, Apr, 2012 @11:03 PM

Article image
Phone hacking: Murdochs and Brooks set to face MPs' questions
Rupert Murdoch, son James and Rebekah Brooks face three hours of questions over phone hacking at News International

Patrick Wintour, political editor

18, Jul, 2011 @8:52 PM

Article image
Rupert Murdoch voices 'total' support for Brooks as he flies in to stem threat
Church of England joins chorus of institutional investors threatening to sell shares over newspaper's 'unethical' behaviour

Daniel Boffey and Paul Harris

09, Jul, 2011 @5:56 PM

Article image
BSkyB bid: can Jeremy Hunt reconsider News Corp's takover?

Dan Sabbagh: Culture secretary argues he has no legal recourse to reassess News Corp's Sky bid in the light of the phone-hacking saga, but is there still room for manoeuvre?

Dan Sabbagh

06, Jul, 2011 @4:27 PM

Article image
Mysteries of Data Pool 3 give Rupert Murdoch a whole new headache

Nick Davies: The arrest of four Sun journalists threatens to open a fresh phase of the scandal surrounding News International

Nick Davies

29, Jan, 2012 @8:00 PM

Article image
Rupert Murdoch gives up BSkyB takeover bid

After the biggest single reverse of his career, the News Corp chief faces an appearance before a judicial inquiry and a fight for the right to broadcast in the UK

Patrick Wintour, Dan Sabbagh and Nicholas Watt

14, Jul, 2011 @12:32 AM