MPs' phone-hacking report delayed as Rebekah Brooks called to give evidence

News International chief executive asked to speak in front of select committee looking into allegations against News of the World

The publication of a parliamentary report into alleged phone-hacking at Rupert Murdoch's Sunday tabloid the News of the World has been delayed until next year.

MPs on the Commons culture, media and sport select committee want to hear evidence from Rebekah Brooks, the chief executive of News International, the paper's parent company, before making their findings public, a spokeswoman said.

A source close to the committee said some MPs felt the evidence given by other News International executives earlier this year was "unsatisfactory".

Brooks, a former editor of the News of the World and the Sun, took up her current role in September. It is unclear when she will give evidence, although it is understood that she has already made a written submission to the committee.

Culture select committee MPs decided to call Brooks following a meeting today. They also voted to delay the publication of the report, which is expected to be critical of News International, until 2010 to give them time to hear her evidence. The report was originally due to appear before Christmas.

The select committee reopened an earlier inquiry into press standards, privacy and libel, in July following the Guardian's revelations that News International had reached out-of-court settlements with three people whose mobiles phones had been targeted by investigators on behalf of the News of the World. One of them, Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballer's Association, received £700,000.

MPs on the committee originally looked into allegations of phone hacking at the News of the World in 2007 after Clive Goodman, the paper's former royal correspondent, received a four-month jail sentence after being convicted of intercepting phone messages in January that year. Glenn Mulcaire, a private detective on the paper's payroll, was also sent to prison.

News International has always argued that Goodman and Mulcaire were acting alone. The Guardian has claimed that phone hacking at the paper was more widespread than News International executives have admitted.

MPs have already heard from Andy Coulson, the Conservative party's Communications director, who was News of the World editor when Goodman and Mulcaire were arrested. He resigned when the two men were sentenced in January 2007.

The paper's current editor Colin Myler also gave evidence in July. Les Hinton, chairman of News International when the offences took place and now chief executive of New York-based Dow Jones, told the committee via a satellite link in September that he could not recall key details about the Goodman case, or the pay-offs made by News International to the former royal reporter and Mulcaire.

Alan Rusbridger, the Guardian editor, also gave evidence to the committee in July along with Nick Davies, the reporter who broke the story about payments to Taylor and two others.

Davies presented MPs with an email sent to a senior News of the World executive by a junior reporter at the paper, who had been asked to transcribe voicemail messages recorded by Mulcaire. It referred to a transcript "for Neville". "Neville" is understood to be Neville Thurlbeck, the paper's chief reporter, Davies told the committee.

The Press Complaints Commission also reopened its own inquiry into phone hacking in the wake of the Guardian's revelations. It concluded last month that it had not been "materially mislead" by News International. Rusbridger subsequently resigned from the PCC's code committee.

News International declined to comment. John Whittingdale, the Conservative MP and former shadow media spokesman who chairs the culture select committee, had not responded to a request for comment by the time of publication.

• To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email editor@mediatheguardian.com or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000.

• If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly "for publication".

Contributor

James Robinson

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Rupert Murdoch backs Rebekah Brooks over phone-hacking allegations
News Corp founder describes latest News of the World revelations as 'deplorable and unacceptable'. By James Robinson, Andrew Sparrow, Hélène Muholland, Graeme Wearden and Haroon Siddique

James Robinson, Andrew Sparrow, Hélène Mulholland, Graeme Wearden and Haroon Siddique

06, Jul, 2011 @4:05 PM

Rebekah Brooks: phone-hacking payments were not my responsibility

Former News International chief says News of the World's managing editor approved payments to private detectives. By John Plunkett

John Plunkett

19, Jul, 2011 @6:08 PM

Article image
Rebekah Brooks 'was briefed by police on phone-hacking investigation'
Former News International chief executive was allegedly given details of original investigation by senior Met police officer

David Batty

25, Feb, 2012 @1:40 PM

Article image
Rebekah Brooks will not give evidence to MPs on phone-hacking
Select committee looking into allegations against News of the World now likely to publish report this month. By James Robinson

James Robinson

02, Feb, 2010 @7:13 AM

Article image
Phone hacking: Murdochs and Brooks set to face MPs' questions
Rupert Murdoch, son James and Rebekah Brooks face three hours of questions over phone hacking at News International

Patrick Wintour, political editor

18, Jul, 2011 @8:52 PM

Article image
Phone hacking: Kelvin MacKenzie shocked by police evidence

Former Sun editor and columnist says he felt 'threatened' by evidence that his phone was hacked. By Roy Greenslade

Roy Greenslade

28, Sep, 2011 @12:00 PM

Article image
Charlie Brooker: The real victims of the phone-hacking scandal are the tabloid hacks

Charlie Brooker: Their days of making the world a worse place with ease are over

Charlie Brooker

17, Apr, 2011 @11:05 PM

Article image
Rebekah Brooks resigns over phone-hacking scandal

News International chief stops short of full apology, saying she no longer wants to be 'focal point of the debate'. By Ben Dowell

Ben Dowell

15, Jul, 2011 @9:25 AM

Article image
Departure of Rebekah Brooks leaves James Murdoch 'exposed'
Reaction to Brooks's resignation highlights difficult days ahead for News Corp's 'relatively inexperienced' boss

Sam Jones, Nicholas Watt and Rajeev Syal

15, Jul, 2011 @8:00 PM

Max Clifford backs Rebekah Brooks in Milly Dowler phone-hacking row - video

The publicist says the Milly Dowler allegations are 'horrendous', but he believes the News International chief executive was not aware of the phone hacking

05, Jul, 2011 @2:39 PM