‘Horrific’: 10 people suffocate in overcrowded migrant boat off Libya

MSF rescue 99 survivors who spent 13 hours on vessel trying to reach Europe as authorities accused of ignoring distress call

Ten people were found dead in the lower deck of a severely overcrowded wooden boat off the coast of Libya, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) has reported.

According to survivors, those who died on Tuesday suffocated after 13 hours on the cramped lower deck, where there had been a strong smell of fuel.

In a difficult operation, less than 30 nautical miles from Libyan shores, the MSF team onboard the charity’s chartered search and rescue vessel Geo Barents reached the boat carrying more than 100 asylum seekers attempting to reach Europe. Survivors told rescuers that there were people crammed on the lower deck who were unresponsive.

After 99 people, all showing signs of acute stress and trauma, were brought on board the Geo Barents, the rescue team found 10 dead bodies at the bottom of the boat.

“It took us almost two hours to retrieve them and to bring them on board, so they can have a dignified burial once arrived onshore,” said Fulvia Conte, MSF deputy search and rescue team leader on the Geo Barents. “It was horrific and infuriating at the same time. This is another tragedy at sea that could have been avoided.”

Abdoulaye, one of the last survivors to leave the boat, barely had the time to understand what had happened to his fellow travellers before the MSF rescuers took his arm and helped him into the rescue lifeboat.

“Let me see their bodies,” he told the team. “These are my brothers. We come from the same place, we went through Libya together. I need to tell their families they are dead. Please let me see them.”

Some had to identify the body of a younger brother or friend who had died in front of them a few hours earlier.

The volunteer-run Mediterranean rescue hotline Alarm Phone accused the European authorities of ignoring the distress call: “We had raised the alarm, several hours before, but no one answered. We are fed up with the announcements of these deaths that could be avoided.”

Caroline Willemen, MSF project coordinator on the Geo Barents, said: “We are once more witnessing Europe’s unwillingness to provide the much needed dedicated and proactive search and rescue capacity in the central Mediterranean.”

After survivors were brought on board the MSF vessel it took two hours for the rescue team to retrieve the 10 bodies from the lower deck.
After survivors were brought onboard the MSF vessel it took two hours for the rescue team to retrieve the 10 bodies from the lower deck. Photograph: Candida Lobes/MSF

In less than 24 hours, Geo Barents performed three rescues in the Maltese and Libyan search and rescue zones, bringing 186 people safely on board, including the survivors from the boat where 10 died. Those rescued were from Guinea, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Somalia and Syria, and included several children, the youngest only 10 months old.

With the attention of the European authorities focused on the humanitarian crisis on the Polish-Belarusian border, Geo Barents, with nearly 200 asylum seekers and 10 dead bodies, must urgently find a place of safety to disembark.

An estimated 1,225 people have died or gone missing while attempting to cross the central Mediterranean so far this year. Since 2014, 22,825 people have gone missing or died on this route.

“It has become the deadliest migration route, and it is shameful,” Willemen said.

Contributor

Lorenzo Tondo in Palermo

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Reports of physical and sexual violence as Libya arrests 5,000 migrants in a week
Raids by the security forces leave at least one man dead, as official observers decry ‘inhumane’ detention conditions

08, Oct, 2021 @6:00 AM

Article image
Libyan coastguards ‘fired on and tried to ram migrant boat’ – NGO
German rescue group issues video of Libyans’ ‘brutal attack’ on boat of migrant families in Mediterranean

Lorenzo Tondo

02, Jul, 2021 @2:28 PM

Article image
EU support for Libya contributes to 'extreme abuse' of refugees, says study
Human Rights Watch accuses EU institutions of sustaining network of ‘inhuman and degrading’ migrant detention centres

Peter Beaumont

21, Jan, 2019 @5:30 AM

Article image
Shipwreck claims the lives of at least 43 migrants off the coast of Libya
The UN calls for the resumption of state-led operations in the Mediterranean, as rescue groups’ vessels are detained in port

Kaamil Ahmed

21, Jan, 2021 @6:30 AM

Article image
German report details Libya abuses amid pressure to stem migrant flows
Embassy in Niger verifies reports of rights abuses including executions in camps as Italy demands action to halt crossings

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor

30, Jan, 2017 @9:05 AM

Article image
Aquarius: onboard the migrant rescue ship - arriving in Malta
The Aquarius is a special-purpose ship chartered by SOS Méditerranée, a European maritime and humanitarian organisation, and Médecins Sans Frontières to rescue migrants and refugees in trouble at sea.Photographer Nicoló Lanfranchi was onboard tracking its progress and as it docked in the port of Valletta. This is his second dispatch.

Nicoló Lanfranchi

23, Aug, 2018 @12:19 PM

Article image
Italy using anti-mafia laws to scapegoat migrant boat drivers, report finds
A decades-long policy of criminalising asylum seekers is filling prisons with innocent men, according to analysis by rights groups

Lorenzo Tondo

15, Oct, 2021 @6:00 AM

Article image
‘Cruel’ trafficker accused of torturing refugees found guilty in Ethiopia
Tewelde Goitom reportedly ran a brutal and lucrative trade extorting migrants desperate to reach Europe from Libya

By Kaleab Girma and Sally Hayden in Ethiopia

30, Apr, 2021 @5:00 AM

Article image
More than 100 lone children rescued trying to cross Mediterranean
Unicef warns many child refugees and migrants picked up off the coast of Libya will be sent to ‘appalling’ detention centres

Hannah Summers and Emmanuelle Chaze

30, Apr, 2021 @3:12 PM

Article image
Libyan navy admits confrontation with charity's rescue boat
Navy spokesman reportedly says its patrol fired warning shots to MSF refugee vessel, but aid group says attackers fired at boat

Patrick Kingsley and Chris Stephen

28, Aug, 2016 @1:53 PM