Manchester City and Gareth Bale speak out against biennial World Cup

  • Bale: ‘I don’t like every two years for a World Cup’
  • Van der Sar warns players will leave pitch because of racism

Manchester City and Gareth Bale are the latest voices to oppose a biennial World Cup amid widespread anger at Fifa’s lack of consultation over plans to radically alter the football calendar.

The proposals – which have been developed by Arsène Wenger, Fifa’s chief of global football development – would lead to a World Cup or European Championship every summer, as well as potentially no club football in October while international qualifiers are played instead.

But speaking at a meeting of the European Club Association, the Manchester City chief executive officer, Ferran Soriano, warned Fifa that its proposals risked players’ wellbeing. “There is no space for anything,” he said. “No room at all. The players cannot play more games, that’s for sure.”

Bale, meanwhile, believes a World Cup every two years would rob the tournament of its “special feeling”. “I like the tradition of every four years – it has the prestige, like the Olympics coming around every four years, it feels that little bit more special it’s not happening too often,” said Bale, captain of a Wales squad currently seeking to qualify for the 2022 tournament in Qatar. “I don’t like every two years, I feel it loses that bit of history. The fact it’s over four years, and it’s a long time until the next one, makes it that bit more prestigious.”

Europe’s top clubs and Uefa fear there is little they can do to stop Wenger’s proposals, which appear to have the support of the majority of Fifa associations, coming into effect. Wenger has even suggested they could be voted through in December, before coming into law after 2024. What further infuriates the clubs is that while Wenger has already briefed L’Équipe – and also invited dozens of former players and coaches, including John Terry, Michael Owen and Yaya Touré, to Qatar this Thursday to consult with him – Fifa is yet to ask the ECA, whose clubs pay the players’ wages, for their opinion.

Speaking in Geneva, Nasser al-Khelaifi, the chief executive of Paris Saint-Germain and president of the ECA, said: “What we want is engagement. But then let’s talk. Fifa haven’t approached us yet. Let them approach us, and then we will have a discussion.”

The Leeds owner, Andrea Radrizzani, expressed similar sentiments, saying: “I would like a World Cup every four years but perhaps there could be a discussion around every three. Why shouldn’t Fifa engage? In my opinion there is a disconnect.”

This week the Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, said a biennial World Cup would “lead to less legitimacy, and dilute the World Cup itself”.

Meanwhile, Fifa has been urged by the ECA to urgently clarify whether those Premier League players who were not released for international duty in red-list countries are allowed to play this weekend.

The plea comes after Fifa confirmed that it had launched disciplinary action against Brazil and Argentina following chaotic scenes on Sunday, in which their World Cup qualifier was suspended minutes after kick-off after Brazilian health officials came on to the pitch.

The Brazilian Health Regulatory Agency said that four Argentinian players made false statements upon arriving in Brazil, omitting that they had been in the UK in the past 14 days. According to Brazilian Covid-19 regulations, anyone who visited the UK 14 days before arrival cannot enter the country.

However, under current Fifa rules, players who are not released for international games can potentially face a five-day sanction – putting Liverpool’s Brazilian trio of Alisson, Roberto Firmino, and Fabinho at risk of missing the trip to Leeds on Sunday.

Charlie Marshall, the ECA’s chief executive, said that such a sanction was unfair on Liverpool and other clubs given the Covid-19 restrictions in place in many countries. “This has to be sorted out within the next 24 hours – Liverpool and the other clubs need to know if they can play their Brazilians or whether Fifa is going to enforce the five-day rule for not releasing the players,” he said.

“We don’t think there should be sanctions because if a player has to quarantine he is unavailable to immediately play for his club again, so it would be longer than the agreed release period. We think Fifa has abused its position and they have to sort it out.”

Elsewhere in Geneva, ECA chairman, Edwin van der Sar, warned that players are getting closer to walking off the pitch unless the authorities do more to tackle racism. “We want organisations to step in,” said the former Netherlands and Manchester United goalkeeper when asked about the racist abuse faced by England’s Raheem Sterling and Jude Bellingham in Hungary last week.

“If there’s widespread racism or certain actions, players will take it into their own hands if organisations and governing bodies are not doing enough. I think the moment is coming closer and closer. We need more severe actions.”

Contributor

Sean Ingle in Geneva

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Gareth Bale set to return for Tottenham against Manchester City
André Villas-Boas said the returning Gareth Bale can inspire Tottenham to victory over Manchester City

David Hytner

19, Apr, 2013 @9:30 PM

Article image
Mourinho on red alert with Manchester City not interested in Gareth Bale
Manchester City have cleared the way for Manchester United to revive their interest in Gareth Bale as Pep Guardiola is not interested in signing the Welshman

Jamie Jackson

27, May, 2018 @4:40 PM

Article image
Fifa’s Infantino signals willingness to abandon biennial World Cup plan
The president of Fifa, Gianni Infantino, has signalled he is willing to step away from the divisive plan to launch a men’s World Cup every two years

Paul MacInnes

20, Oct, 2021 @4:21 PM

Article image
Fifa’s biennial World Cup plan draws negative reaction from sponsor Adidas
The Adidas chief executive, Kasper Rorsted, has said he ‘doesn’t think much’ of the proposal to hold the World Cup every two years

Paul MacInnes

12, Oct, 2021 @12:08 PM

Article image
Uefa says biennial World Cup creates four significant ‘dangers’
Uefa said it wants to preserve the ‘mystique’ of the four-year schedule while every Premier League team opposed Arsène Wenger’s idea

Paul MacInnes

22, Sep, 2021 @6:27 PM

Article image
Uefa chief Ceferin has ‘grave concerns’ over biennial World Cup plan
Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, says he has grave concerns over Fifa plans to stage the World Cup every two years

Sean Ingle

03, Sep, 2021 @8:26 PM

Article image
Fifa’s biennial World Cup plans condemned as threat to game’s jewel
Two of the most senior figures in European football have attacked Fifa’s plans to reform the international calendar and implement a biennial World Cup

Sean Ingle

06, Sep, 2021 @9:41 PM

Article image
Fifa proposal for biennial World Cup is a ridiculous plan that could become real | Sean Ingle
This is about money and power – with Fifa trying to isolate Europe and weaken Uefa

Sean Ingle

06, Sep, 2021 @7:00 AM

Article image
Gareth Bale injury may rule him out of Real Madrid games against Tottenham
Gareth Bale will miss Wales’s final World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and the Republic of Ireland with a calf injury that will rule him out for up to four weeks

Stuart James

03, Oct, 2017 @5:07 PM

Article image
Gareth Bale desperate to reach World Cup and fulfil final career goal
Gareth Bale has said reaching the World Cup with Wales would represent the final tick on his football to-do list as they kick off another qualifying campaign

Ben Fisher

23, Mar, 2021 @3:00 PM