Conte keen on Manchester United job as players doubt Solskjær’s capability

  • Former Chelsea manager would welcome Old Trafford talks
  • Players like Solskjær but think he is tactically not up to task

Antonio Conte would be open to discussing taking over at Manchester United if Ole Gunnar Solskjær were sacked, while it emerged on Monday that several players are questioning whether the Norwegian can take the team any further.

Several dressing-room sources have told the Guardian that Sunday’s 5-0 capitulation to Liverpool at Old Trafford has crystallised a lack of belief in Solskjær being a good enough manager for United. The 48-year-old is considered tactically underwhelming, while being well-liked by the squad and within the wider club.

United are thought to be seriously considering Solskjær’s future after taking one point from their past four Premier League games. Joel Glazer, who heads the American family’s ownership, resides in Florida, five hours behind the UK, so any decision may be taken later on Monday. The managing director, Richard Arnold, is understood to have cancelled all appointments on Monday to hold talks with Glazer.

Conte has not received any ­formal contact from United although it is believed he has been sounded out should a vacancy arise in the coming days. Although the Italian is reluctant to take up a position during a season, he would make an exception for United because he considers the club a special opportunity. The 52-year-old would want to understand United’s vision before committing.

Conte has been out of work since leaving Internazionale in May, having signed off his two seasons there with the Serie A title, the fourth in Italy of his career. Conte also claimed the Premier League in his opening campaign at Chelsea in 2016-17 and the FA Cup the following year.

Solskjær said after the Liverpool game that United had hit “rock bottom” on what he described as his “darkest day” with the team but insisted he would not quit. “I do believe in myself, I do believe that I am getting close to what I want with the club,” he said.

The defender Luke Shaw admitted such a result had been on the cards when it was put to him that players looked lost at times and he was asked whether that was on Solskjær. “I think it’s ourselves that we need to look at, first and foremost, in the mirror,” he told the Malaysian sports network Stadium Astro. “Are we doing everything right and preparing right for the games in ourselves? Of course we have the tactics and how the manager wants us to play, but I think at times we’re way too easy to play against.

“I think, for example, you look at the first goal, it can’t be possible that they can have sort of three running through in the first five minutes. We need to be more compact, we need to be better and we know that. I think also maybe we can say this result was coming. I think in past games where we’ve won, we haven’t been at our best and we know that.”

Contributors

Jamie Jackson and Fabrizio Romano

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Martial and Rashford reward Solskjær’s Manchester United rejig | Jamie Jackson
Manchester United struggled to hold on to their lead until telling interventions by Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford that bode well for their campaign

Jamie Jackson at Old Trafford

11, Aug, 2019 @6:21 PM

Article image
Solskjær’s promotional video hints at permanent Manchester United role
Ole Gunnar Solskjær has revealed he filmed a promotion for Manchester United season tickets and admitted it would be ‘strange’ not to be made permanent manager having done so

Jamie Jackson

01, Mar, 2019 @10:33 PM

Article image
Solskjær’s spirit of unity is building real momentum at Manchester United | Jamie Jackson
Pieces of the puzzle are coming together and fans are beginning to believe a first title win since 2013 is a genuine possibility

Jamie Jackson

03, Jan, 2021 @3:25 PM

Article image
Pochettino and Zidane on Manchester United list after Solskjær’s tearful exit
Zinedine Zidane, Mauricio Pochettino and Erik ten Hag are among the names being considered to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjær at Manchester United

Jamie Jackson and David Hytner

21, Nov, 2021 @8:41 PM

Article image
Solskjær’s game of patience at Manchester United is running out of time | Jonathan Wilson
Planning for the future is laudable but at some point there must be evidence of a plan being enacted in the here and now

Jonathan Wilson

02, Jan, 2020 @12:22 PM

Article image
Solskjær’s Easter woes show Manchester United must live up to their past | Richard Williams
Time will tell whether Manchester United really have hit upon their saviour and, either way, the club must rediscover their boldness of old

Richard Williams

22, Apr, 2019 @4:39 PM

Article image
While a match has a pulse, Solskjær’s Manchester United will still believe | David Hytner
Though erratic, the manager’s side host Liverpool on Sunday taking cues from the past to keep fighting to the final whistle

David Hytner

22, Oct, 2021 @4:02 PM

Article image
Antonio Conte will stay exuberant when Chelsea face Manchester United
Manchester United’s José Mourinho was angered by Antonio Conte’s celebrations during October’s 4-0 defeat but the Chelsea manager says his behaviour is normal

Jacob Steinberg

10, Mar, 2017 @6:10 PM

Article image
Antonio Conte can break Mourinho’s Chelsea spell against Manchester United | Jonathan Wilson
Antonio Conte is putting his own stamp on Chelsea and, on the eve of Manchester United’s visit, is showing signs of moving the club away from the influence of José Mourinho

Jonathan Wilson

20, Oct, 2016 @12:05 PM

Article image
Antonio Conte says Manchester United can still finish in the top four
Antonio Conte has dismissed the idea that Manchester United will attach more importance to their Europa League return with Anderlecht than Sunday’s Premier League game against Chelsea

Paul Doyle

14, Apr, 2017 @9:30 PM