‘I’m only 29 years old’: what Christian Eriksen said after his life was saved

  • Doctor tells of how he dashed from stands to help footballer
  • ‘It was a lovely moment when Eriksen opened his eyes again’

A German emergency doctor has described how he dashed from the stands to help Christian Eriksen after the Denmark midfielder suffered a cardiac arrest on Saturday.

Jens Kleinfeld said he saw the team’s medics struggle with the situation and decided he had to intervene. He also described the “lovely moment” when the player opened his eyes after regaining consciousness and told him in English: “I am here.”

Kleinfeld said he had been watching the Denmark versus Finland match from the stands in Copenhagen by chance, having earlier completed a training session with the touchline medical team that happened to include schooling in emergency first aid.

He said the training he had given was put into immediate practice when the touchline team had gone to Eriksen’s aid.

“I was in the stands on the opposite side as he collapsed. At first I didn’t think anything of it. But then I saw how the Danish team doctor was acting in quite a hectic manner. I recognised that it was no normal injury,” Kleinfeld said in an interview with the German tabloid Bild.

“The players had their heads in their hands. At which point I gave the sideline team a sign and they ran on to the pitch. They had a defibrillator with them. I then told my colleagues I was sitting with in the stands: ‘We have to go on to the pitch.’”

Kleinfeld said the sideline team had started the process of resuscitation, first with a heart massage and then preparing the defibrillator including attaching electrodes to Eriksen’s body. “Then I took control. We gave him electric shocks and continued with the heart massage,” he said. Kleinfeld described the emergency training he had given the medical team before the match as decisive in the process of reviving Eriksen. He said he believed the Danish team doctor had struggled to cope at first. “He initially failed to grasp the extent of the situation. When you start a resuscitation you need to do it as quickly as possible. But the team doctors are mainly treating many other injuries, which is why it’s more difficult for them to immediately recognise sudden cardiac death.

“That was clear to me when I saw them trying to pull his tongue out of his throat. That’s not how you save a life. A minimal overflexion of the head is completely sufficient.”

Denmark fans wearing Christian Eriksen shirts in Copenhagen before Thursday’s match against Belgium.
Denmark fans wearing Christian Eriksen shirts in Copenhagen before Thursday’s match against Belgium. Photograph: Hannah McKay/Reuters

Kleinfeld said the shocks by the defibrillator were key to bringing Eriksen back to life. He said if the defibrillator is administered within the first two minutes the chance of survival is almost 90% and with every minute lost, the probability drops by 10%.

“So speed is of the essence. It took two or three minutes for Eriksen to get the electric shock. That meant his chance of survival was very high,” he said.

Shortly after receiving the shocks, Eriksen regained consciousness. “He opened his eyes and spoke to me. I asked him, in English: ‘Are you back again?’ He said: ‘Yes, I am here’. And then he said: ‘Oh shit, I’ve only just turned 29 years old.’

“I told him that everything was now OK and he was not in danger any more. He understood everything immediately and straight away put his arm on his chest.”

  • Download the Guardian app from the iOS App Store on iPhone or the Google Play store on Android by searching for 'The Guardian'.
  • If you already have the Guardian app, make sure you’re on the most recent version.
  • In the Guardian app, tap the Menu button at the bottom right, then go to Settings (the gear icon), then Notifications.
  • Turn on sport notifications.

Kleinfeld said it had been a “textbook resuscitation” and the incident had been “like a normal assignment” for him. “I just blocked everything out,” he said. “It was a lovely moment when Eriksen opened his eyes again.”

Morten Boesen, the Denmark team doctor, said on Thursday Eriksen is to be fitted with a heart starter


Kate Connolly in Berlin

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Wales ‘in for a tough one’: what Christian Eriksen told Ben Davies
Defender has been in touch with his former Spurs teammate and says pressure is off Wales against Denmark in last 16

Ben Fisher in Rome

22, Jun, 2021 @11:12 AM

Article image
Denmark to make loud and clear their love for stricken Christian Eriksen
Play will stop in the 10th minute of Thursday’s game against Belgium and there will follow acclaim for the midfielder

Nick Ames in Copenhagen

16, Jun, 2021 @8:55 PM

Article image
‘We feared the worst’: Finland’s Tim Sparv on seeing Eriksen collapse
The Finland captain on what it was like on the pitch when the Denmark midfielder fell during their Euro 2020 match

Exclusive by Will Unwin

13, Jun, 2021 @1:42 PM

Article image
Denmark’s Christian Eriksen stabilised in hospital after collapse
Midfielder, 29, required urgent CPR on the pitch during match against Finland but is now stable

David Connett and Jonathan Wilson

13, Jun, 2021 @7:37 AM

Article image
‘It was damn nice to see him smile’: Schmeichel cheered by visiting Eriksen
Denmark’s players have said they will play their coming games at the European Championship finals in honour of Christian Eriksen

Marcus Christenson

14, Jun, 2021 @12:03 PM

Article image
View from Denmark: Eriksen is one of us and that’s why it hurt so much
Denmark has witnessed Christian Eriksen grow into one of Europe’s greatest players and his cardiac arrest has shocked us – but brought the nation closer together

Troels Henriksen in Copenhagen

13, Jun, 2021 @7:47 PM

Article image
Christian Eriksen sends greetings to Denmark teammates from hospital
The Danish football association has provided an update on Christian Eriksen’s condition, saying he is in a stable condition and will stay in hospital for further tests

Marcus Christenson

13, Jun, 2021 @9:29 AM

Article image
‘He was gone’: Christian Eriksen had cardiac arrest, Denmark doctor says
Christian Eriksen is smiling in hospital, Denmark’s coach has said, as it was confirmed the midfielder had a cardiac arrest

Marcus Christenson

13, Jun, 2021 @2:26 PM

Article image
Christian Eriksen collapsed and the stadium fell silent in horror
The events brought to mind Fabrice Muamba and Marc-Vivien Foé – but with the player in hospital, Denmark v Finland restarted

Jonathan Wilson

12, Jun, 2021 @7:26 PM

Article image
Euro 2020 updates as Christian Eriksen ‘sends greetings to teammates’ from hospital – as it happened
Christian Eriksen made contact with his teammates from hospital after Saturday’s distressing scenes in Copenhagen

Alex Hess

13, Jun, 2021 @12:00 PM