Newcastle’s Saudi takeover hearing adjourned until next year

  • Arbitration with Premier League reaches impasse
  • Owner Mike Ashley hoping to force deal through

The arbitration hearing between Newcastle United and the Premier League, intended to resolve the legitimacy or otherwise of the club’s blocked £300m Saudi Arabian led takeover, has reached an impasse.

In a joint statement Newcastle and the Premier League on Monday night announced the hearing had been adjourned until early 2022 because of “issues with the disclosure of evidence”.

Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s owner, had initiated the legal action in the hope of forcing through the buy out which collapsed last summer but it has now hit another wall. “The parties attended a hearing today [Monday] in the case between Newcastle United and the Premier League,” read the statement. “The main hearing of the arbitration has regrettably now been adjourned until early 2022 due to issued with the disclosure of evidence. The parties will be making no further comment until this time.”

Last month Newcastle had applied for the claim to be heard in a public forum and insisted it had “nothing to hide” from such transparency but it is believed there was a reluctance to disclose particular pieces of evidence on the part of both sides.

On Monday night, though, the husband of the consortium member Amanda Staveley – who, along with Reuben Brothers, has joined Saudi’s Public Investment Fund in launching the bid – reacted angrily to the delay.

In a social media post Mehrad Ghodussi wrote: “There’s only one party playing games here. Hashtag Premier League.”

It remains unclear how Steve Bruce’s transfer summer transfer plans at St James’ Park will be affected as Ashley is understood to have previously told the consortium to be prepared to take over in time for the new season kicking off in August. Bruce is still to make a close-season signing and is awaiting a breakthrough in his endeavours to re-sign the midfielder Joe Willock on loan from Arsenal.

The takeover originally collapsed last year when, amid concerns regarding alleged Saudi broadcast piracy, the potential buyers were unable to successfully complete the Premier League owners and director’s test with the ruling body indicating there was insufficient separation between the Saudi state and PIF.

Meanwhile Newcastle are also engaged in a different, separate, case against the Premier League lodged with the Competition Appeals Tribunal. That action centres on a claim that preventing the takeover amount to a breach of competition rules.

Contributor

Louise Taylor

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Saudi-backed takeover of Newcastle imminent after 18-month wrangle
A Saudi Arabian-led consortium is close to finally taking over Newcastle United and ending Mike Ashley’s 14-year-old ownership of the club, with a deal expected to be approved imminently

Sean Ingle and Louise Taylor

06, Oct, 2021 @6:44 PM

Article image
Amnesty urges Premier League to block Saudi-backed takeover of Newcastle
The Premier League has been urged to consider Saudi Arabia’s ‘appalling’ human rights record before it agrees takeover

Sean Ingle

07, Oct, 2021 @10:15 AM

Article image
Premier League chairman to resign after Newcastle takeover controversy
Gary Hoffman has been in the role for only 18 months, but an unofficial vote of confidence has led to more than half of Premier League chairmen calling for his removal

Paul MacInnes and David Hytner

16, Nov, 2021 @8:59 PM

Article image
Amnesty wants meeting with Premier League over Newcastle takeover
Amnesty International has called for a meeting with the Premier League chief executive, Richard Masters, over the controversial takeover of Newcastle United

Paul MacInnes

12, Oct, 2021 @11:01 PM

Article image
'Never say never': Newcastle say Ashley still committed to Saudi-led sale
Newcastle’s managing director Lee Charnley has said the club’s collapsed sale to a Saudi-led consortium could be resurrected

Louise Taylor

31, Jul, 2020 @11:47 AM

Article image
Newcastle expect green light for Saudi takeover despite Amnesty misgivings
The consortium close to completing a takeover at Newcastle does not expect the Premier League’s owners’ and directors’ test to pose them any problems

Louise Taylor

15, Apr, 2020 @5:08 PM

Article image
Newcastle United decline to comment on reported Saudi Arabia takeover talks
The Wall Street Journal has reported that Newcastle’s owner, Mike Ashley, is in talk with the Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund over a potential £340m takeover of the Premier League club

Louise Taylor

25, Jan, 2020 @3:05 PM

Article image
Saudi Arabia takeover of Newcastle United will be decided in January
The controversial Saudi Arabian-led takeover of Newcastle United is set to be sanctioned if the club can prove the Gulf kingdom will not be a director of the club

Louise Taylor

29, Sep, 2021 @5:38 PM

Article image
Saudi takeover of Newcastle leaves human rights to fog on the Tyne | David Conn
Premier League allowing deal shows money and international reputation laundering can trump concerns about the regime

David Conn

08, Oct, 2021 @7:00 AM

Article image
Saudi TV piracy ruling puts Newcastle takeover under renewed scrutiny
The World Trade Organisation has ruled that Saudi Arabia was behind a pirate satellite TV and streaming service that illegally broadcast sporting events

Sean Ingle

16, Jun, 2020 @2:12 PM