‘The last resort’: jailed former Qatar World Cup official on his hunger strike

  • Abdullah Ibhais says he will continue until ‘proven innocent’
  • ‘It is very hard and it is weakening,’ he adds in recording

The detained former Qatar World Cup official Abdullah Ibhais has repeated his claims of innocence as he enters the 17th day of a hunger strike in prison. Ibhais was seized by Qatari authorities last month and returned to jail while he awaits the outcome of an appeal against charges of bribery and a prison sentence of five years.

The former deputy communications director in Qatar’s World Cup Supreme Committee has been denied communications since his arrest, according to his family. On Thursday, however, a voice note apparently recorded in his cell was published by the Dutch newspaper NRC with an audibly weakened Ibhais discussing his resolve to pursue his hunger strike “until I am proven innocent”.

In the note Ibhais said: “I’ve gone on a hunger strike because for me this was the last resort after I was denied the chance to a fair trial.

“I was denied the chance to be heard, I was denied the chance to speak up and after all I was detained whilst my trial has not finished yet. I was detained just to make sure that I don’t speak up, that I do not talk, that I do not defend myself, that I do not reveal the true story behind what happened to me.

“It is hard, it is very hard, and it is weakening, but this is my last resort and I am going to go through with it until I am proven innocent. Because this is how things are, I am innocent and I have done nothing wrong.”

Ibhais was found guilty and sentenced in April in a trial over accusations he had taken payments to influence the awarding of a contract to deliver social media for the World Cup. The Jordanian national signed a confession which he later recanted and he denies the claims.

In an interview published with the Norwegian magazine Josimar, Ibhais said the confession had been extracted under duress, that he had not been given access to a lawyer and that the charges had been brought after he raised concerns over striking migrant workers in the country. Days after giving the interview, Ibhais – who had been released pending an appeal – was detained again. The process of his appeal began on 23 November.

In a statement released to the Guardian two weeks ago the Qatar Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy said: “Abdullah Ibhais’s claim that he was targeted for taking a position on a labour-related matter is a fabrication and a lie.

“The allegations presented by Ibhais have no credibility. The case against Ibhais is rooted in evidence [of alleged manipulation and misuse of state funds], and has absolutely nothing to do with personal opinions or actions on labour-related matters.”

Contributor

Paul MacInnes

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Thousands of Qatar World Cup workers ‘subjected to life-threatening heat’
The campaign group Human Rights Watch has said hundreds of workers are dying every year as Qatar builds for the 2022 World Cup with statutory work breaks in summer midday hours not sufficient

David Conn

27, Sep, 2017 @2:59 AM

Article image
Qatar 2022: £40 a week to build the World Cup stadiums
The workers from some of the world’s poorest countries are being paid a pittance to deliver the football dream of the world’s wealthiest per capita state

David Conn in Qatar. Photographs by Tom Jenkins

21, Nov, 2018 @8:00 AM

Article image
Four years to go: Qatar on course for its improbable World Cup
Super-rich state determined to defy doubters as it presses on with preparations for 2022 but being in Doha for a few days prompts scepticism

David Conn in Qatar. Photographs by Tom Jenkins

20, Nov, 2018 @7:37 AM

Article image
Fifa’s World Cup money-grabbing may be running into the sand in Qatar | Marina Hyde
Our heroes’ formula of leaving with all the cash and paying no tax could be coming awry in the Middle East as a Dubai official suggests Qatar should give up the World Cup

Marina Hyde

11, Oct, 2017 @11:54 AM

Article image
Family of World Cup worker waits for answers over death at Qatar stadium
Qatar authorities said they have taken ‘corrective measures’ since fatal accident at al-Wakrah stadium

Pete Pattisson in Doha and Itahari, and Roshan Sedhai in Itahari

21, Nov, 2018 @12:00 AM

Article image
Alcohol set to be subsidised and more available at 2022 World Cup in Qatar
Organisers in Qatar are close to a deal that would lead to cheaper alcohol sold at more locations than normal there during football’s World Cup in 2022

Sean Ingle in Doha

26, Sep, 2019 @9:00 PM

Article image
Qatar would help Middle East peace by sharing 2022 World Cup, says Infantino
Move could support peace in the region, Infantino says, four years ahead of tournament

Exclusive by David Conn

21, Nov, 2018 @6:00 PM

Article image
Qatar World Cup workers’ rights to improve with end of kafala system, claims union
The International Trade Union Confederation claims to have secured the agreement of the Qatar government to improve the employment situation of migrant workers, including those building World Cup stadiums

David Conn

25, Oct, 2017 @7:04 PM

Article image
‘Dr Cool’: meet the engineer trying to keep Qatar air-conditioned
Dr Saud Abdul Ghani’s groundbreaking air-conditioned stadiums to be used in 2022 World Cup and world athletics championships starting on Friday

Sean Ingle in Al-Wakrah

26, Sep, 2019 @9:39 PM

Article image
Revealed: football’s plan for Qatar workers’ centre as World Cup legacy
Plans are being developed within football for the creation of a permanent workers’ centre in Qatar that would support the rights of migrant labourers

Exclusive by Paul MacInnes

19, Nov, 2021 @5:27 PM