Manchester United prepare £25m bid for Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon

• Real Madrid and Tottenham also interested in 17-year-old defender
• United prepared to allow Luke Shaw to leave Old Trafford

Manchester United are preparing an opening offer of initial £25m for Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon, with José Mourinho prepared to allow Luke Shaw to leave Old Trafford in order to sign the England youth international.

Sessegnon, 17, who finished as joint-top scorer at the European Under-19 Championship in June with three goals, has been tracked by United’s scouts for some time and has also attracted interest from Tottenham and Real Madrid. The European champions have watched the defender on several occasions this season and are understood to be monitoring his situation, while Spurs had a bid potentially worth more than £20m with add-ons rejected in the summer.

Despite usually operating as a left-back, Sessegnon is also capable of operating further up the field and has gained a reputation as one of English football’s brightest attacking talents. He became the became the first 17-year-old to score a hat-trick in the top four divisions of English football since Dele Alli when he inspired Fulham’s 5-4 victory over Sheffield United in November.

Fulham have indicated that it would take a bid in excess of £30m to tempt them into selling their prized asset, with manager Slavisa Jokanovic admitting on Thursday that he is unsure whether Sessegnon will remain at Craven Cottage.

“In this moment, I am not thinking of being without him for the season, but it is not under my control,” he said.

“All the questions are what the value of this player is, but myself, as a coach, I prefer to stay with the more important players for the competition that is ahead of us, but on the other side I can understand the business side too. If we want to be competitive we must keep our important players.”

Should United have a bid accepted, Tottenham are expected to renew their approach but have also enquired about Shaw, who has fallen out of favour at Old Trafford under Mourinho. The 22-year-old has played just 328 minutes in the Premier League so far this season having joined United from Southampton in 2014 for £30m, although any move for Sessegnon is not believed to be contingent on him leaving.

Tottenham are also interested in signing Sessegnon’s twin brother, Steven, who also plays for Fulham and starred for England’s Under-17s in their World Cup victory earlier this year. Along with Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City, Mauricio Pochettino also retains an interest in Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha but Crystal Palace are adamant that the £50m-rated forward will not be sold in January.

Contributor

Ed Aarons

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Ryan Sessegnon wants Spurs move and tells Fulham he will not renew contract
The 19-year-old winger told Fulham he will not sign a new contract and has set his heart on a move to Tottenham

David Hytner

07, Jun, 2019 @12:49 PM

Article image
Fulham v Manchester United: match preview
Claudio Ranieri has been calling for his Fulham side to fight and they will need to exactly that to get a result against Manchester United

08, Feb, 2019 @12:48 PM

Article image
Manchester United v Fulham: match preview
José Mourinho could find himself in even deeper water if Manchester United fail to beat Fulham after not finding victory in their last four league matches

07, Dec, 2018 @5:00 PM

Article image
Tottenham sign Sessegnon and Lo Celso but miss out on Dybala
Tottenham have confirmed the signings of Giovani Lo Celso and Ryan Sessegnon from Real Betis and Fulham respectively as Mauricio Pochettino’s patience was finally rewarded on a tense transfer deadline day

Marcus Christenson and Fabrizio Romano

08, Aug, 2019 @5:08 PM

Article image
Summer transfer window verdict: how every Premier League club fared
From Nottingham Forest’s 21 deals to Leicester’s one outfield signing we run the rule over the division’s £1.9bn outlay

Guardian sport

02, Sep, 2022 @9:00 AM

Article image
Manchester United veto José Mourinho’s transfer wishlist
José Mourinho’s short-term fixes have been rejected by Ed Woodward, who viewed some transfer targets as no better than those already at Old Trafford

Daniel Taylor

10, Aug, 2018 @7:02 AM

Article image
Summer transfer window: club-by-club guide for the Premier League
With just weeks until the big kick-off Arsenal, Liverpool and West Ham have been among the biggest spenders

Simon Burnton, Jacob Steinberg, Paul Wilson, Nick Ames, Andy Hunter, Louise Taylor and Jamie Jackson

22, Jul, 2018 @8:00 PM

Article image
Transfer window verdict: how every Premier League club fared
Who got what they wanted and who finished frustrated? Our guide to every top-flight team’s dealings

Guardian sport

06, Oct, 2020 @9:00 AM

Article image
Slavisa Jokanovic urges Ryan Sessegnon to drive Fulham’s top-flight return
Slavisa Jokanovic believes Fulham can lean on Ryan Sessegnon back in the Premier League, with the teenager’s presence providing continuity after a summer of lavish transfer spending

Dominic Fifield

16, Aug, 2018 @9:30 PM

Article image
Premier League’s power shown by spending of clubs outside elite | David Conn
TV riches fund ever more overseas recruitment and make England’s inspiring World Cup campaign seem a long time ago

David Conn

09, Aug, 2018 @7:29 PM