Dr Martens boots are not just for the young (Dr Martens sales triple in six years, 17 August). My wife, now in her mid-70s, is the proud owner of six pairs in the brightest colours and boldest patterns. Not just a fashion statement, they are also a great way to boost your “street cred”.
West Harptree, Somerset
• People suggesting that Greta Thunberg (16) is too young to hold her views should note that the age of maturity was once fixed at 15. For example, the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III had his mother, and then grandmother, as regents until he was 15. Then, he took over, had a lifetime of achievement but died at 21. We infantilise our young people for too long.
• Having just read your story regarding how people over the age of 50 are discriminated against due to their age (Report, 19 August), I turned the page only to see an article about a new TV series featuring flesh eating, zombie pensioners. This isn’t going to help.
Hove, East Sussex
• I can empathise with Lucy Mangan attempting to buy train tickets online (Digested week, 17 August). I had similar problems myself a week ago. It was impossible to actually buy the right ticket using the computer. The solution was to do what I did 20 years ago and just phone up to buy the tickets. Job done in five minutes.
West Drayton, Middlesex
• Sorry, guys, “guy” now means man, woman, boy, girl or communicating infant – not simply “man” (Quick crossword, 17 August).
St Albans, Hertfordshire
• Join the debate – email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Read more Guardian letters – click here to visit gu.com/letters
• Do you have a photo you’d like to share with Guardian readers? Click here to upload it and we’ll publish the best submissions in the letters spread of our print edition