James Corden has said he had been “ungracious” during an incident at a New York restaurant that led to the TV presenter being banned from the venue.
On the latest episode of his programme The Late Late Show, the 44-year-old British comedian addressed the incident, saying that in its aftermath he had been “walking around thinking that I haven’t done anything wrong”.
Corden was barred from Balthazar restaurant last week after its owner, Keith McNally, claimed the TV host had been “extremely nasty” to staff on two separate occasions.
McNally’s social media post about the incident prompted a backlash, with calls for Corden to be barred from other venues.
On Monday’s episode of his show, Corden said his comments had been made “in the heat of the moment” and he would apologise in person to the staff at Balthazar.
Speaking about McNally’s claims, Corden added: “Because I didn’t shout or scream, I didn’t get up out of my seat, I didn’t call anyone names or use derogatory language, I’ve been walking around thinking that I haven’t done anything wrong.
“But the truth is I have made a rude, rude comment. And it was wrong. It was an unnecessary comment, it was ungracious to the server.”
Corden said after seeing McNally’s post he had contacted him “immediately”. “I told him how upset I was that anybody was hurt by anything that I had done and anything that I had said and we had a good talk.
“He appreciated the call. I was happy that we got to clear the air. And I felt like we dealt with it privately … but by this point, the story was out there and more people were upset.”
After showing a series of scathing tweets to his audience, he continued: “I get it. I totally understand. I understand everybody getting upset and I accept everybody’s opinion.
“I also hate, as I said to the owner that day, that I’ve ever upset anybody ever. It was never my intention. It just wasn’t. I love that restaurant. I love the staff there. I hope I’m allowed in again one day so when I’m back in New York I can go there and apologise in person, which is something I will absolutely do.”
McNally lifted his ban after receiving Corden’s apology, also announcing the news on social media.
Corden previously told the New York Times that he had done “nothing wrong” and was feeling “zen” about the interview.
In April, Corden said he would be stepping down as the host of The Late Late Show.