The large number of young people fleeing big cities to the countryside might stimulate a contra trend (‘We’re happier, calmer’: why young adults are moving out of big cities, 8 February). Country dwellers might snap up small properties in the cities to use as holiday homes and a base for cultural pursuits.
Lewes, East Sussex
• Disturbing to read that the government is planning jail sentences of up to 10 years for travellers from Covid “hotspots” (Report, 10 February). I wonder what the jail terms would be for ministers who ignored Sage advice to close the borders a few months ago?
Dr Guru Singh
• I agree with your correspondent who told you to lay off the Queen (Letters, 9 February). She should indeed be laid off.
• If actresses are no longer to be called actors (Letters, 9 February), perhaps doctresses should no longer be called doctors?
• I think your style guide needs a complete overhaul. Can you please also consider engineeress, teacheress, and CEOess?
Johannesburg, South Africa
• I do hope that her use of the term “nitwits” to describe the government is not a sign that Miriam Margolyes is mellowing with age (‘How many husbands have I had? Not enough!’ Vanessa Redgrave meets Miriam Margolyes, 9 February). I have long been an ardent admirer of her fluency in profanity, and would have expected something far stronger.