NSW police never started investigating Christian Porter rape allegation, internal review reveals

Police asked to close investigation on same day they received a dossier which included a statement by the woman detailing her allegations

New South Wales police acknowledged they “never had the opportunity to commence the investigation” into an allegation of rape against Christian Porter, conceding the “investigation or lack thereof was not successful”, an internal review document seen by Guardian Australia has revealed.

Porter’s accuser withdrew her complaint and took her own life in June 2020, without police having taken a witness statement from her. The police assessment of the investigation into her claims, which was first produced in a more redacted form to the NSW parliament, concludes that, as a result, an alleged victim of “childhood sexual abuse” had died “without having her wish of the person of interest being held to account”.

The same document also reveals that police asked to close the investigation on the same day they received a dossier which included a statement by the woman detailing her allegations sent to police by her friends.

The woman accused the former attorney general of raping her in January 1988 when she was 16 and he was 17. Porter strenuously denies the allegation, confirming he knew the woman but denying having any sexual contact with her. Porter commenced defamation proceedings against the ABC after it reported the allegations against an unnamed “senior minister” in March 2021, but discontinued the claim after the ABC agreed to publish a statement indicating it did not intend to suggest Porter was guilty of the alleged offence.

Porter resigned from the Morrison government ministry on Sunday after revealing last week that some of his legal fees were paid by anonymous donors.

On Sunday Scott Morrison described the resignation as “appropriate”, citing the ministerial standards’ requirement to be free from perceived conflicts. Porter insisted his disclosure was within the rules, but said the issue had become a distraction for the government.

The woman first approached South Australian police in November 2019 asking about the process of making a complaint.

On 27 February 2020 she first met NSW police while passing through Sydney, but did not give a full statement. After she returned to Adelaide, NSW police applied on 10 March 2020 to travel to take her statement there, but were rejected.

On 2 April, she agreed in a teleconference to wait until NSW police were able to travel rather than give the statement remotely or to South Australian police.

On 23 June 2020 the alleged victim told NSW police she wanted to cease reporting the matter, citing personal reasons. She took her life on 24 June.

The latest information comes from a document originally tabled in the NSW parliament. At the time parts of the document were redacted but after a complaint from Greens MLC David Shoebridge about unnecessary censorship of its findings, further parts have now been revealed by NSW police.

They go into the operation of Strike Force Wyndarra that was set up by NSW police to investigate the allegations levelled against Porter by the woman. Specifically they detail the conclusion of an internal review after the strike force was wound up with no result.

In a statement in March 2021, NSW police said that, as result of the woman’s death, there was “insufficient admissible evidence” to proceed with an investigation.

But friends of the complainant point to the fact that NSW police had by 2 July been sent the dossier, including a signed and dated statement from the complainant that they claim may have been admissible.

The phrase “insufficient admissible evidence” is not contained in the post-operational review.

The police had set out that their investigation strategy was to include taking a victim statement and further witness and corroborative statements.

But the review explained that “investigators from the child abuse and sex crimes squad never had the opportunity to commence the investigation into the historical abuse of [redacted] due to her passing by suicide”.

“Unfortunately, due to the impact of Covid-19 on the operational management of this investigation, her statement never commenced.”

The documents show on the same day they received the dossier (2 July) a detective sergeant requested that Strike Force Wyndarra be cancelled. They were advised to complete a post-operational assessment and close the strike force.

At a NSW legal affairs estimates hearing on 1 September, Shoebridge asked the NSW police commissioner, Mick Fuller, whether the claim of insufficient admissible evidence was misleading. Fuller took the questions on notice, citing a need to read the review.

Shoebridge also queried whether it was an “unusual practice, to shut down a strike force about an alleged sexual assault on the same day that police received a vast amount of additional fresh material signed by the alleged victim”.

Fuller said this would “all depend … on whether the police knew that that information was forthcoming or it was not forthcoming” and took the question on notice.

In response to Guardian Australia questions on these points, NSW police said they had nothing further to add beyond their existing “comprehensive statements” on Wyndarra and the review document itself.

In a statement on Sunday Porter said he had only recently seen a “copy of the only signed document that the person who made and subsequently withdrew the complaint ever made”.

“Many parts of that 88-page document are such that any reasonable person would conclude that they show an allegation that lacks credibility; was based on repressed memory (which has been completely rejected by courts as unreliable and dangerous); which relied on diaries said to be drafted in 1990/91 but which were actually words composed in 2019; and, was written by someone who was, sadly, very unwell.”

Porter did not respond to Guardian Australia’s inquiries about the contention that a signed, dated statement from the woman could have been admissible.

Sign up to receive an email with the top stories from Guardian Australia every morning

In April, Guardian Australia revealed that NSW police passed up an offer by South Australian police to take a statement from the woman.

NSW police detectives made an application on 10 March 2020 to travel to Adelaide, but the move was rejected on 13 March 2020 by the deputy commissioner of investigations and counter-terrorism who claimed there was “insufficient detail … to justify why this travel cannot be deferred”.

The post-operational review supported this decision, claiming it “proved to be the correct decision with the airport at Adelaide succumbing to a Covid-19 cluster”, citing a cluster that was detected weeks later on 30 March.

“This Covid-19 cluster would have directly impacted the investigators travelling to South Australia by potentially exposing them to Covid-19,” it claimed.

Earlier answers to questions on notice reveal that on 1 April 2020 the alleged victim asked to commence her statement as soon as possible by telephone or a Skype video call.

The new documents include an email sent on 2 April 2020 with talking points to prepare to speak to the alleged victim explaining police wanted to hold off from taking a statement in part because the complainant’s support person also needed to provide a statement. Elsewhere, they cite the desire for the primary investigators to be present to support her.

The 2 April email stated that investigators would reassess the situation in a month and consider alternatives. “One such alternative will be having SAPOL take the statement from [redacted] (only if she applies unnecessary pressure).”

In earlier evidence, the NSW police claimed a “joint decision” was made against this course, but the documents reveal the police advised the alleged victim on 2 April “her statement would not at this stage be commenced by phone / video call”.

“[Name redacted] was understanding of investigators’ position.”

The post-operational assessment concluded: “Ultimately it is a sad outcome that the victim took her life, however that is absolutely no reflection on the investigators involved – they were outstanding in all of their dealings with the victim.”

Efforts by the Greens in federal parliament to use the Senate to set up an inquiry into Porter’s fitness to be a minister have been consistently blocked by the Coalition and One Nation.

Contributor

Paul Karp

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Australia news live: Christian Porter says he is entirely innocent of historical rape allegation
The attorney general makes a statement in Perth saying he will not step down. This blog is now closed

Michael McGowan, Amy Remeikis and Matilda Boseley (earlier)

03, Mar, 2021 @8:32 AM

Article image
NSW police passed up SA offer to take statement alleging sexual assault against Christian Porter
Request to travel interstate to take accuser’s statement was rejected in March 2020 because it was not deemed essential, documents reveal

Paul Karp

11, Apr, 2021 @7:00 PM

Article image
AFP didn't pass on documents detailing allegation against Christian Porter to NSW police
NSW police say federal police only passed on a ‘summary email’ of the historical rape allegation against the attorney general which he denies

Michael McGowan and Amy Remeikis

12, Mar, 2021 @7:12 AM

Article image
Labor presses Coalition on independent inquiry – as it happened
Prime minister grilled in parliament; Queensland calls on Canberra to consider Covid vaccine rollout in PNG. This blog is now closed

Mostafa Rachwani and Amy Remeikis

15, Mar, 2021 @8:14 AM

Article image
Police could ban Australians from mosques 'on gut feeling'
Critics say extraordinary powers granted to NSW police will hit vulnerable people hardest

Paul Farrell

05, May, 2016 @3:52 AM

Article image
Twitter flags tweet about ADF – as it happened
Scott Morrison had called on China to apologise and sought removal of tweet; Victoria revamps hotel quarantine program under single agency with private security banned. This blog is now closed

Luke Henriques-Gomes (now) and Amy Remeikis (earlier)

30, Nov, 2020 @8:43 AM

Article image
Racing NSW asked politicians to consider Everest Cup a public holiday
Revelations the proposal was floated with Luke Foley comes amid heated debate over use of Opera House sails to promote horse race

Anne Davies and Michael McGowan

08, Oct, 2018 @7:52 AM

Article image
Victoria reports four positive cases from northern suburbs – as it happened
New infections are among families in two households. This blog is now closed

Lisa Cox and Amy Remeikis

24, May, 2021 @8:24 AM

Article image
Academy apologises for welcoming Christian Porter to science portfolio after social media backlash
Science organisation says sorry for ‘poorly worded tweet’ as Morrison government also under fire for promoting an MP with a history of anti-trans comments to assistant minister for women

Paul Karp

30, Mar, 2021 @6:19 AM

Article image
NSW police have formal statement from friend of woman who alleged Christian Porter raped her
Police insist investigation remains closed despite Macquarie Bank’s James Hooke supplying statement on 17 and 22 March

Paul Karp

08, Apr, 2021 @5:24 AM