Port Arthur survivors remember – and say gun laws must never change

On the 20th anniversary of the massacre, those bereaved have more than grief on their minds. Gun control ‘was the one thing that gave me some hope, that those people did not die for nothing’, says Walter Mikac

Walter Mikac was playing golf when the shots rang out. It was around lunchtime on Sunday April 28, 1996. At the historic convict site at Port Arthur, Tasmania, across the bay from where Mikac stood at the Tasman Golf Course, a massacre was taking place.

His wife and two daughters, aged just three and six, were killed, along with 32 others. They thought the gunman, Martin Bryant, was one of many fleeing the shootings and ran towards his car for help. He killed them all at close range.

Across the water, Mikac had no idea what had happened. He would later be let through the police blockade, in front of an international media picket, to view their bodies.

Bryant, who is serving 35 counts of life imprisonment, began shooting his 30-shot, AR-15 rifle at 1.30pm and killed 20 people in 90 seconds in the Broad Arrow Cafe and gift shop before going outside to kill 11 more. The remaining four victims were shot off-site.

But it was the murder of Nanette, Madeline and especially six-year-old Alannah Mikac, shot by a gun barrel pressed into the back of her neck as she hid behind a tree, that came to represent the horror of what had happened at Port Arthur and spurred the campaign for drastic gun reform.

Walter Mikac led that reform with a letter to the then prime minister, John Howard, written a few days after the shooting.

“I wrote it when I was heading to Melbourne for the funerals of Nanette and the children,” Mikac told Guardian Australia. “It was a very concise and very direct letter to say: how could we possibly be in a situation that gun laws were so lax that you could go and buy a semi-automatic weapon without any checks?

“He rang me at my parent’s place in Melbourne and asked me if he could read that letter at the police minister’s meeting the next day.”

Mikac agreed. “I had nothing to lose,” he said. “I had already lost my whole family.”

On Thursday, survivors of the massacre and friends and family of those who died will gather on the lawns next to the shell of the Broad Arrow Cafe, now a memorial garden, to mark the 20th anniversary. Still more will watch the hour-long ceremony, running from 12.30pm to 1.30pm, via a video feed to St David’s Cathedral in Hobart, almost 100km away.

Among the survivors will be Sydney opera singer Amelia Farrugia, who has been asked to sing at the service. Farrugia also performed at the service marking the 10th anniversary; it was her first time back at the site since the massacre.

Mikac will not be among them. He visited the site once after the shooting, for the first anniversary, and has no desire to return.

A stuffed bear, shells and flowers are offered at a memorial in Port Arthur.
A stuffed bear, shells and flowers are offered at a memorial in Port Arthur. Photograph: Rod McGuirk/AP

Instead, the Alannah and Madeline Foundation, founded by Mikac in 1997 in honour of his daughters, will hold a candlelit vigil in Melbourne’s Federation Square on Thursday night.

Howard used Mikack’s letter to secure national agreement for uniform gun laws at an emergency meeting of state and territory police ministers held 12 days after the massacre.

The reforms that followed – banning automatic and semi-automatic weapons, severely restricting access to handguns, and placing stringent conditions on the acquisition and storage of the one and two shot firearms that were still available – remain a source of comfort to Mikac and the families of other Port Arthur victims.

“That legislation being passed at the time was the one thing that gave me some hope, that those people did not die for nothing,” he said.

“I will fight tooth and nail to make sure that these laws remain in place.”

A fight may be required: the pro-gun lobby, led by the Sporting Shooters’ Association of Australia, has successfully lobbied for a number of states and territories to reduce red tape around gun ownership. It is also campaigning against the proposed banning of the seven-shot Adler A110 lever-action shotgun, which is not a type of firearm explicitly banned in the 1996 National Firearms Agreement but which gun control advocates, like Mikac, say was “explicitly designed to get around Australia’s laws”.

A temporary ban on the shotgun will automatically expire on 7 August, and a decision on whether to ban the gun permanently, expected as part of a review into the 1996 laws, has reportedly been delayed.

Meanwhile, more than 7,440 modified five-shot Adler shotguns were imported into Australia between October and March.

Contributor

Calla Wahlquist

The GuardianTramp

Related Content

Article image
Australia's gun laws ‘non-negotiable’, says Turnbull on Port Arthur massacre anniversary
Prime minister hails National Firearms Agreement as ‘one of John Howard’s greatest achievements’ 20 years after massacre prompted a massive overhaul of gun laws

Calla Wahlquist and Paul Karp

28, Apr, 2016 @1:22 AM

Article image
It took one massacre: how Australia embraced gun control after Port Arthur
The decisive political response to the killing of 35 people in Tasmania by a gunman 20 years ago changed Australia – and has lessons for the US today

Calla Wahlquist in Port Arthur

14, Mar, 2016 @8:49 PM

Article image
Australia's gun laws stopped mass shootings and reduced homicides, study finds
Reforms still having positive effect 20 years on, as landmark study shows accelerated reduction in rates of suicide and homicide deaths caused by firearms

Melissa Davey

22, Jun, 2016 @3:00 PM

Article image
Nitram review – intensely disquieting and extraordinary Port Arthur massacre film
Justin Kurzel’s exploration of the lead-up to one of Australia’s worst mass shootings is a film of eerie, queasy foreboding

Luke Buckmaster

29, Sep, 2021 @5:30 PM

Article image
New push from NSW to change gun laws is a risk to community, Port Arthur charity says
Foundation established by father of massacre victims says it’s concerned over proposal by NSW deputy premier to amend national Category D firearm restrictions

Paul Farrell

19, Oct, 2016 @7:08 PM

Article image
One Nation and Port Arthur conspiracies: a long and dishonourable history
Pauline Hanson publicly denies the 1996 massacre was a set-up, but the believers have consistently found a home in her party

Calla Wahlquist

06, Apr, 2019 @8:00 PM

Article image
John Howard's decisive action on gun control revealed in 1996 cabinet papers
Early in Howard’s prime ministership he confronted the horror of the Port Arthur massacre and its aftermath

Anne Davies

31, Dec, 2018 @1:00 PM

Article image
How Australia’s global gold standard on gun control is being eroded
The people credited with lowering the gun-death rate after the Port Arthur massacre say the firearm lobby has since been boosted and gun laws chipped away

Elias Visontay

24, Apr, 2021 @8:00 PM

Article image
John Howard says erosion of Australia's gun safety laws would be 'huge mistake'
Former PM says it’s ‘self-evident’ the Adler A11o rapid-fire shotgun, which the Abbott government could make legal in 12 months, should be kept out of the country

Michael Safi

08, Sep, 2015 @8:06 AM

Article image
'We need to remember': Doctor who treated Port Arthur victims defends new film
Dr Bryan Walpole says he has no problem with the controversial movie, as survivors, Scott Morrison and the film-makers themselves weigh in

Kelly Burke

03, Dec, 2020 @4:30 PM