Grand Union Hotel
California Historical Landmark No. 659
Stagecoach Inn, September 2008
|Location||51 Ventu Park Rd., Newbury Park, California|
|NRHP reference No.||75000495|
|Added to NRHP||December 30, 1975|
The Stagecoach Inn in Newbury Park, California, originally known as the Grand Union Hotel, was used as a resting area for people who traveled from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara. Besides a hotel and stagecoach stop, it has also been used as a post office, church, restaurant and military school. It is California Historical Landmark no. 659 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It played a major role in the development of the stage line transportation network in California. The hotel was also the first business venture in the Conejo Valley.
Today, the inn is owned by the Conejo Recreation and Park Department and operated as a historic museum. The museum includes a replica of Timber School (originally built in 1889), a carriage house and blacksmith shop, nature trail, and the 'Tri-Village', a small group of three houses: the pioneer house, the adobe, and the Chumash 'ap. There is also a gift shop located inside the museum. Volunteers operate the museum, although it is run by the Conejo Valley Historical Society. There is also a Jr. Docent program for children and teenagers aged 8–18. It is a dominant cultural- and educational gathering place for thousands of residents and visitors to Newbury Park.
The Stagecoach Inn is allegedly haunted, and is considered one of California's most famous haunted places.
The Stagecoach Inn is open Wednesday through Sunday, from 1-4 pm., in Newbury Park, CA.
- "Stagecoach Inn". Office of Historic Preservation, California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- Merritt, Jackie and Brian (1993). California. MPC. Page 144. ISBN 9780861904648.
- O'Brien, Tricia (2017). Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village. Arcadia Publishing. Page 13. ISBN 9781439661956.
- Sprankling, Miriam and Ruthanne Begun (2006). Historical Tour of the Conejo Valley. Conejo Valley Historical Society. Page 5. ISBN 0-9725233-4-0.
- Sprankling, Miriam and Ruthanne Begun (2012). Tales and Voices of the Conejo. Newbury Park, CA: Conejo Valley Historical Society. Page 9. ISBN 0-9725233-6-7.
- Fargo, Donna (1983). Conejo Valley Days: A Brief History of the Golden Conejo. Thousand Oaks, CA: Farland Enterprises. Page 2.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2011-01-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
Where can I visit?
Casa Conejo, California
Unincorporated area in Ventura County, California, United States
Thousand Oaks, California
City in California, United States
California Lutheran University
Private university in Thousand Oaks, California
Newbury Park, California
Community in Ventura County, California, United States
Conejo Valley Botanic Garden
Stagecoach Inn (California)
United States historic place
Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza
Lake Sherwood, California
Place in California, United States
Newbury Park High School
Public high school in Newbury Park, California, United States
Radio station in Thousand Oaks, California
Real-time, up-to-date listings for the best in music, sports, theatre and family events.