Leaning Tower of Pisa
Tower in Pisa, Italy
|Leaning Tower of Pisa|
torre pendente di Pisa
Leaning Tower of Pisa in 2013
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Active|
|Height (max)||55.86 metres (183.3 ft)|
|Part of||Piazza del Duomo, Pisa|
|Criteria||Cultural: i, ii, iv, vi|
|Inscription||1987 (11th session)|
The Leaning Tower of Pisa (Italian: torre pendente di Pisa) or simply the Tower of Pisa (torre di Pisa [ˈtorre di ˈpiːza]) is the campanile, or freestanding bell tower, of the cathedral of the Italian city of Pisa, known worldwide for its nearly four-degree lean, the result of an unstable foundation. The tower is situated behind the Pisa Cathedral and is the third-oldest structure in the city's Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo), after the cathedral and the Pisa Baptistry.
The height of the tower is 55.86 metres (183.27 feet) from the ground on the low side and 56.67 metres (185.93 feet) on the high side. The width of the walls at the base is 2.44 m (8 ft 0.06 in). Its weight is estimated at 14,500 metric tons (16,000 short tons). The tower has 296 or 294 steps; the seventh floor has two fewer steps on the north-facing staircase.
The tower began to lean during construction in the 12th century, due to soft ground which could not properly support the structure's weight, and it worsened through the completion of construction in the 14th century. By 1990, the tilt had reached 5.5 degrees. The structure was stabilized by remedial work between 1993 and 2001, which reduced the tilt to 3.97 degrees.
- "Leaning Tower of Pisa Facts". Leaning Tower of Pisa. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Europe | Saving the Leaning Tower". BBC News. 15 December 2001. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "Tower of Pisa". Archidose.org. 17 June 2001. Archived from the original on 26 June 2009. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "Leaning Tower of Pisa (tower, Pisa, Italy) – Britannica Online Encyclopedia". Britannica.com. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "Leaning tower of Pisa loses crooked crown". Irish News. Retrieved 10 June 2020.
Comune in Tuscany, Italy
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Famous tower in Italy
University of Pisa
Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa
Province of Pisa
Province of Italy
Piazza dei Cavalieri, Pisa
Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies
Santa Maria della Spina
Arena Garibaldi – Stadio Romeo Anconetani
Explore nearby popular places
Find webcams around this location