UNESCO world heritage site at Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu, India.
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
|Location||Mahabalipuram, Chengalpattu district, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Criteria||Cultural: (i), (ii), (iii), (vi)|
|Inscription||1984 (8th session)|
The Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram is a collection of 7th- and 8th-century CE religious monuments in the coastal resort town of Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu, India and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal, about 60 kilometres (37 mi) south of Chennai.
The site has 40 ancient monuments and Hindu temples, including one of the largest open-air rock reliefs in the world: the Descent of the Ganges or Arjuna's Penance. The group contains several categories of monuments: ratha temples with monolithic processional chariots, built between 630 and 668; mandapa viharas (cave temples) with narratives from the Mahabharata and Shaivic, Shakti and Vaishna inscriptions in a number of Indian languages and scripts; rock reliefs (particularly bas-reliefs); stone-cut temples built between 695 and 722, and archaeological excavations dated to the 6th century and earlier.
The monuments were built during the Pallava dynasty. Known as the Seven Pagodas in many colonial-era publications, they are also called the Mamallapuram temples or Mahabalipuram temples in contemporary literature. The site, restored after 1960, has been managed by the Archaeological Survey of India.
- Mamallapuram, Encyclopedia Britannica
- James G. Lochtefeld (2002). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Hinduism: A-M. The Rosen Publishing Group. p. 399. ISBN 978-0-8239-3179-8.
- "Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram". UNESCO.org. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- National Geographic (2008). Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations. National Geographic Society. p. 154. ISBN 978-1-4262-0336-7.
- George Michell (1977). The Hindu Temple: An Introduction to Its Meaning and Forms. University of Chicago Press. pp. 131–134. ISBN 978-0-226-53230-1.
- Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram, Dist. Kanchipuram Archived 29 May 2018 at the Wayback Machine, Archaeological Survey of India (2014)
- "Advisory body evaluation" (PDF). UNESCO.org. Retrieved 23 October 2012.
- World Heritage Sites - Mahabalipuram, Archaeological Survey of India (2014)
Town in Tamil Nadu, India
Township in Tamil Nadu, India
Madras Atomic Power Station
Fast Breeder Test Reactor
Seven Pagodas of Mahabalipuram
Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor
Explore nearby popular places
Find webcams around this location