City in Shelby County, Tennessee
Historic downtown Germantown
Location of Germantown in Shelby County, Tennessee.
|• Mayor||Mike Palazzolo|
|• Total||20.01 sq mi (51.83 km2)|
|• Land||19.99 sq mi (51.76 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.06 km2)|
|Elevation||377 ft (115 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,962.62/sq mi (757.77/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
38138, 38139, 38125
|GNIS feature ID||1285318|
Germantown is a suburb of Memphis, bordering it to the east-southeast. Germantown's economy is dominated by the retail and commercial service sectors; there is no heavy industry in Germantown. In the city center is the "Old Germantown" neighborhood, anchored by a railroad depot (a 1948 reproduction of the 1868 original) and railroad tracks that recall the community's earliest days of development as an outpost along the Memphis and Charleston Railroad.
The city hosts many horse shows and competitions annually, most notably the Germantown Charity Horse Show in June. Other major annual events include the Germantown Festival, an arts and crafts fair, in early September.
Germantown has the lowest crime rate for any city its size in the State of Tennessee and the police and fire departments have average emergency response time of five minutes (police just under 4 minutes & fire department 5.2 minutes). The parks and recreation department is nationally accredited. The Arbor Day Foundation has designated Germantown a "Tree City USA" for 23 consecutive years. Only 3.2% of Germantown citizens are below the poverty line.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 30, 2020.
- Cite error: The named reference
USCensusEst2019CenPopScriptOnlyDirtyFixDoNotUsewas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Germantown city, Tennessee". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- "Facts and Figures | City of Germantown". www.germantown-tn.gov. Retrieved 2018-11-26.
- City of Germantown - FY15 Budget Page 18
- Bureau, U. S. Census. "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2019-10-02.
Where can I visit?
City in Tennessee, United States
Mall of Memphis
Shopping mall in Tennessee, United States
School in Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Memorial Park Cemetery (Memphis, Tennessee)
United States historic place
St. George's Independent School
Episcopalian school in Tennessee, United States
Overton High School (Memphis, Tennessee)
American high school
Clark Tower (Memphis, Tennessee)
Hickory Hill, Memphis
Dixon Gallery and Gardens
Memphis Botanic Garden
Real-time, up-to-date listings for the best in music, sports, theatre and family events.